1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Odgers TJ08-E

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Odgers, 11 Mar 2012.

1. Odgers

Odgers What's a Dremel?

Long time reader , first time poster

Going to update this build TJ08 custom i built to a TJ08-E chassie.
    (original log from the tj08) http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=972472
    (Basically was not happy with how hard drives fit in the tj08, and the E model looks sexy to me)

Old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New 08-e case i got second hand:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

supplies:
    [​IMG]

What I want to avoid:
    [​IMG]

Solution:
    [​IMG]
    you must go

[​IMG]
    ah ha now thats better

[​IMG]
    i can plug disks in but some dremmel work is required

specifically I will extend the cabling hole
    [​IMG]
    And there is a rolled edge ill get rid of, as an extra half a mm would be nice as play room

more to come .....

previous mods:
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=268667
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=972472

Last edited: 12 Mar 2012
  2. Odgers

Odgers What's a Dremel?

More Goodies:
    [​IMG]
    I use a dremmel quite often and paint too, and im sick of breathing in fine aluminum dust

I want the stupid FDD drive gone , and also the front pannel usb, because i dont want the cables
    [​IMG]

Prep:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I filled it with the metal filler i pulled off the tape , this was like insurance I did not end up with it everywhere , never used this stuff before and this case is sort of a learning lession because i want to use filler in some up coming projects

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

prep for sanding , originally before i started all this i tried to take off the front pannel but after un doing all the screws it would not come off , and i saw no rivets holing it on , ive drilled out rivets before so meh im doing this with the front pannel still on.

[​IMG]

After about a hour of hand sanding I gave up, man this stuff is as hard as nails
    [​IMG]

Found a donor lan li hard drive cage that im going to use , i spent about a hour using the dremel to cut some lip's off and give more clearance .
    [​IMG]

As i gave up on hand sanding this was about it for the day
    [​IMG]

3. z3bb0

z3bb0 What's a Dremel?

Nice mod there Odger :D

4. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Nice! I have this case so I will be watching.

IMHO this case is totally under-appreciated for what you can fit into that amount of space ;)

5. Odgers

Odgers What's a Dremel?

This is where it is currently at , had to work today sigh was dark when i got home

[​IMG]
    literally that filler is hard as nails, even with this sander it took an hour and about 5 pads to get even close to flat

at the same time i did some coats on
    [​IMG]
    Im actually quite happy with this , i had to cut a bunch of metal off it , in the end my arm was silver past the elbow, and i was catching hot crap in the neck lol , as below if i get some sprey filler i will hit this , possibly do a little light sanding on the sides that will be seen, most of the cutting was what will be fan side so meh

this is still not flat but a hell of a lot of power sanding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i plan on doing some sprey filler or something , i dont want to use that metal resin crap again, its too hard to sand.
    in essence were off to paint because i need to raise a low spot , then ill sand it all down flat and re paint.
    [​IMG]
    external colour is still secret .

paint prep took a while but as always worth it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some primer ive been using to fill the low's , ill prob get a sprey filler but i want to sand it down first and see how bad the low's are
    [​IMG]

im considering painting the final colour , i can always re tape and sand the front but im concerned the tape wont hold forever so id be better off doing final colour then sanding the front more where needed, i will think about this , dont really want to have to pull all the paper off as i have the tape lines perfect just to fix something on the inside like the psu hole if the tape comes away

and im intentionally not saying what i aim for with this mod , in some ways i dont know, this is a test for my next mod, i want to use as many new tricks as i can, this mod may fail but as long as i learn something i dont mind if this case goes in the trash, and dam ive already learnt buy less hardcore filler.

6. Odgers

Odgers What's a Dremel?

are post's only approved at UK times? posted an update about 7hours ago, ill post it again when i get home just dont want to double post

7. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Sorry for the resurrection guys.
    But how has it been going Odgers?