1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Man of Steel

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 15 Jun 2013.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Just wanted to let you know it's awesome! I'm a big Marvel fan but this just dumps all over any Marvel movie.

I didn't feel as emotionally drained like Batman movies but it tugged at some heart strings and had me going "OMG" loads!

Go and enjoy it, Superman is back!

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

saw it first thing this morning, and had pretty mixed feels about a few things, but overall it was great

3. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Can't wait to see it.

Zack Snyder is a decent director, Even got a second installment to 300 coming.

Having some decent brit actors in your lineup is always good too ;)

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Seen this also, great film, well worth a watch

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sense of scale in some of the action sequences is ridiculous, entire buildings getting demolished every second or so!

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Spoilers: he's actually WonderWoman.

Saw it last night, haven't truly enjoyed a film for a good while! Definitely a few moments when I felt myself feel a little emotional as well.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Saw it last night too, really enjoyed it. I was disbelieving that anyone could ever make a good Superman film (I hate Superman with a passion, I think it's a shite story/character/mythos), but this one was just fantastic.

It irritated me that they just had to have certain Hollywood tokenisms - the token CGI-fest at the beginning, the token "we're like Avatar!" flying alien creatures, the token romance subplot.

The romance subplot irritated me the most. It felt obligatory and out-of-character - yeah, it's canon that they have a thing, but the way the characters had (or hadn't) been developed through the film made it feel forced. It reminded me of Mass Effect, where characters will inevitably fall for each other and screw each other simply because they've spent more than a set amount of screentime (or game time) talking to each other, even if their characters aren't very well aligned, don't really know each other and have no obvious chemistry.

Other than that, it was brilliant fun. I loved all the things it draws from - Mass Effect kept coming to mind: alien ships that closely resemble Reapers, awesome skin-tight space armour. And there's imagery and tech lifted from The Matrix, District 9, Star Trek (2009) and Crysis, none of which bothered me because it all felt like honest borrowing, not plagiarism. (And because I love all of those.)

edit-
    Have to agree, I was impressed by how well the super-combat worked; by its nature it's something that just shouldn't fit on the screen or be convincing, but it was.

I realised that this film was completely CGI-determined. It would not have worked or been possible a few years ago, as about half of the film's content would've looked like crap.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2013
  8. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Saw this on Friday night, was overall a good action film and nice to see a decent superman film, though wonder how they will make the whole Justice League.

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Saw it on Saturday. Liked it. Agree the super-combat scenes were done well. I wish there was more character development but I suppose there's only so much you can fit into 2hrs.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This is something that's been bothering me of late. I get that relatively recent advances in CGI technology has given filmmakers a wonderful tool to create epic disaster sequences, but in my opinion it's just becoming stale. Every single action and/or sci-fi movie has to have the obligatory city-wide demolition event. It was one of my biggest complaints about the new Star Trek movie, as well. I'm not a big Trek fan, so the rest of the movie I was happy to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy the show. For some reason, the utter destruction at the end just felt gratuitous; it's as if Hollywood is contractually obligated to destroy at least one entire city per movie. Perhaps what bothers me the most is that the movie always ends on a sunny day with all of the principal characters smiling about the job well done. What you don't see is the mass funerals in the background, and the crippling debt as the major city has to rebuild entire swathes of infrastructure!

My wife absolutely loves everything Superman, so we'll be seeing this on our shared birthday coming up. I like Superman well enough, but I know full well going into it that there will be obligatory epic destruction. It's the unintended consequence of having a character who lives in a world of cardboard, and it's why I think Superman is one of the most difficult superhero franchises to keep going. His power has grown so much over the decades, so without resorting to kryptonite/Kryptonians, how do challenge him?

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

BladderTip: There is NO after-credit scene.

I did see a couple of nods to the rest of DC universe - A LexCorp tanker truck, and I think a Wayne Enterprises logo on the satellite they crashed into.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I actually disliked it. It felt too rushed and there was zero chemistry between Supes and Lois. Dialogue was poorly written and there was literally NO character development for anyone, not even Supes. Shannon was amazing as Zod, but of course, they just turned him into a flimsy hollywood villain by the end.

The only redeeming factor (and in all fairness, it was a huge redeeming factor) were the action sequences. Glorious.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh, I quite liked whatsisface as Clark, though, I thought he was really good. All of the acting was of a slightly higher calibre than I expect from superhero films but he was particularly likeable.

Also, he's ridiculously hot. I know it shouldn't matter, but, with it being Superman, it just kinda does. They cast him perfectly.

Also the music and cinematography and direction were good, and all of the alien set design - the ships, the technology, Krypton - looked fantastic.

On reflection one thing that bugged me was the pacing of the action scenes: towards the end I got serious action-fatigue and just zoned out a bit, because it dragged on for too long without a break.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Great movie. All those cynics gotta remember that this is a summer blockbuster!

The action scenes will leave you reeling, the scale is enormous! These guys had real vision! I think it's bigger in scale than Avengers (and there were 6 of them!) and I don't even think Pacific Rim will match this for scale.

15. gavbon

gavbon Extreme Overclocker/PC Anarchist

seen so many people buzz about this

but not had the chance to go see it

highly recommended?