1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft introduces new online DRM system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

/golf clap

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

As far as i can see that's good news all around.

UNTILL UBISOFT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS. Then you can kiss your games goodbye, but they hardly took that into consideration.

EDIT:
    Oh wait, good stuff. But what about the savegames?

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So where do I get the internet emulator beta from cracker group X

:)

5. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

That gave me reason not to buy any Ubisoft games, thanks!

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I lol'd at the image and got pissed off with another DRM system... all at the same time!

7. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Oh bloody hell. "Most people have constant internet connection". But what about those people that don't.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Do you know any gamers without an internet connection? I assume most of Ubi's new games will be multiplayer-heavy anyways, so there would be no point in buying them if you don't have internet. So IMO those people aren't the target audience for Ubi.

9. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Indeed. When I changed ISP recently I went 4-5 days without an internet connection. And every now and then, if there is a server fault with an ISP you can have a few hours without a connection. During this time you can't play. That sucks.

Why can't these people use the "steam" model. Connect once, validate, and then allow offline play.

And this......
    Are we ALL Criminals?

10. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Yes, hes sitting on a chair typing out a message to you right now....

I am currently at boarding school, so that means limited internet during the week, limited in this case being all but browsing and MSN impossible, so no connecting to servers to get saved games etc. :rolleyes: Thankfully steam offline works for most of my games (and the good old ones that came with a disk :lol:)

Now, hopefully when I get to uni it will work, but otherwise :wallbash:

EDIT:
    ..... That is the case with making absolutely anything, you make it. It can be copied. Only way to stop it being copied is to not release it at all :eek:

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

[​IMG]

But yes.

This will be pirated just like any other system. Monitor the traffic, replicate the responses with a local "server", force gamesaves to a directory on the local "server", modify the system that sends the calls to look at localhost. Oops.

12. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

This is just the wrong way to fight a problem that this only fuels. Still no games on Ubisofts list are even remotely interesting to me now I just have to go bitch about GFWL being included with Metro 2033 :mad:

13. CardJoe

It's more an issue of you have to have the connection ALL THE TIME. If it drops while you're playing then the game will pause before letting you carry on playing, but Ubi hasn't clarified if you'll be able to upload your save. If you're on WiFi and the signal drops, too bad. If someone else needs to use the internet and you can't share a connection or have a bandwidth problem, too bad. If you're not on an unlimited connection then it'll hog your bandwidth needlessly.

14. [GAH] Cheesey

[GAH] Cheesey What's a Dremel?

"Ubisoft has announced a new DRM system"

If only there was a DRM system out there that didn't require a constant internet connection and does exactly the same thing.

*Sigh*

15. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Steam is brilliant. GFWL is appalling. If UBi's is anything like GFWL I will be refusing to buy any of their games.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

17. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I would Download a car, I always d/l em' when modding GTA...[/offtopic]

I honestly think that this may be good, if it helps them to make more profits from PC gamers then they will feel that it will be worth developing games for the PC entirely, and not just make some crappy ports... or ignore the PC gamers completely.

I hope this system that they will be using goes well, and finally, at least I won't have to have my disc in anymore when I wanna play, now I can keep those discs somewhere safe where they won't get scratched.

and I also have to say, I think that if someone doesn't like this idea, then they are obviously pirates or have no internet connection to their primary (Gaming) PC.

18. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Read my post a few up -_-

And you haven't needed a disk for ages, its called Steam, and works well, and works offline :wallbash:

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

great yet another login i have to remember

20. CardJoe

It will have to have more benefits to me than just "Hey look, you can take your save games anywhere" because, really, how useful is that to anyone? Most people have one gaming rig at home. If they have more they can already just move their save games themselves.

Personally, I really like the way that EA and BioWare have done it. Yes, it's annoying that you have to create yet another account and you have to remember another password and all that, but there lots of upsides in their implementation. There is day one DLC for games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, often free. You can easily grab extra content and it doesn't come with stupid restrictions about always needing to be online, though it is mostly pretty secure. It's the best way that this method can be done and Ubisoft seem to have missed out on that.

If cloud saves are the main benefit then I'll just not bother, tbh. It's not worth the hassle of junkmail, bandwidth troubles and registering.

Tags: Add Tags