1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking to switch Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'Software' started by samf88, 6 May 2014.

1. samf88

samf88 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I've been using Bitcasa for about a year now. I currently store 16TB of data with them however I've recently discovered that they have corrupted about 50% of my files - after telling me that the copy on their server was complete and that it was safe to delete from my local disk. The service is also painfully slow, taking 3 minutes to load a folder in the web UI and downloading at most 100kb/sec when I have a 120Mbit connection. Streaming a video I have stored on them is just not worth the hassle. Their customer support has brushed me off in the past, claiming that they are upgrading their servers soon and that apparently the corruption is caused by my use of TeraCopy instead of Windows native file transfer 'effort' - something I find unlikely to believe as their software should still be checking whether my upload is 100% 1:1 with the local copy. I currently pay $99 per annum for Infinite Storage.

I recently decided to give Mega a go for non-corrupted online storage... I created a series of accounts (sammega001, sammega002, etc) so that I could 'cheat' my way out of multiple lots of 50GB but recently the Mega interface has been faulting.

Basically what I'm looking for is something similar to Bitcasa but not... ****. I have a LOT of data to store (and it's going to take decades to download what Bitcasa hasn't lost forever) and need to know that it is safe, 1:1 copy, fast to access and ideally work in a similar way to Bitcasa having the "Drive" show up in My Computer on my system. I am not looking for a backup system like Backblaze or Crashplan where it's only as unlimited as the amount of drives you have locally.

I really hope there's a magic service out there that I'm not aware of yet that somebody can recommend or refer me to. I'm desperate! My 6TB local RAID array is getting to the full point so I'm going to need to start shifting it somewhere safe very soon.

Thanks in advance!

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Tried Backblaze? I hear they are pretty good.

3. samf88

samf88 What's a Dremel?

I've looked into them but I gather they're more of a "backup" rather than "storage" - it's definitely storage I need. If they do cloud storage too, then I'll probably go ahead and get a subscription.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

5. samf88

samf88 What's a Dremel?

Thanks - have followed your link and requested to be invited to the beta. Here's hoping it does what I need! :)

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Hijacking, but how does one encrypt their data for cloud storage, but retain the ability to "stream" on demand - is this possible?

7. samf88

samf88 What's a Dremel?

I don't fully understand it myself - I think the data is split into blocks at the user's end, the block is encrypted with that user's account key, the block is uploaded. Then I assume when it is streaming it back their system somehow pieces the blocks back together as it is streaming them?

This article apparently explains it: http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/18/bitcasa-explains-encryption/

Although you'd be lucky if you can get it to stream without freezing or buffering, heh.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

9. samf88

samf88 What's a Dremel?

Sadly not - their highest plan is 200GB and I currently have 16TB that I am storing. :)

Thanks though!