1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus announces Strix soundcard family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

? ;)
    Really? Does anybody actually use the different audio settings on their soundcard beyond the first half-hour of playing with the settings to see what they all do? Surely most people just change the settings to something that works for them and then forget about them for evermore?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

<sighs, goes to fix it> Y'see, this is what happens when I have a late lunch. I'm blaming the whole thing on low blood sugar...

I don't think I've changed more than the volume on my system since I first set it up...

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Did I spot a PCIe power connector ? Seriously ? This is a sound card, not an amplifier, it shouldn't consume that much.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

I certainty made a lot of good use out of some of the different X-FI settings when I was using it but I doubt the Asus cards will have a majority of those features.

I don't suppose any of them offered an HDMI port? I want to detach my audio from my video stream.

I expect the power socket is for clean power that hasn't been through the motherboard. Some mobo's will be noisier than others.

I thought Strix was synonymous with silence. Silent sound cards?

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Not sure that an SMPS power supply will give a cleaner power. The best solution would be regulated and filtered power supply stage, but not sure it would fit on the PCB xD

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Pssh, never let logic get in the way of a marketing scheme.

Another Asus product I won't be buying.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Would it still not be better than having to go near all that motherboard noise?

Although to be fair I've never had an issue with a discrete soundcard.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This has been a feature since the original Xonars (albeit with a floppy power connector). Getting power from the PSU is way more 'clean' than drawing it through the PCIE slot. It's a low power card and routing PCIE 6-pin into the card area is 'normal' versus an extra string of shitty molexes. GuilleAcoustic nailed it. The Essence series has filtering.

Spreadie - Don't even get me started. 'Gaming' apparently or something. They think a name, some orange (or, now red on graphics cards) and an owl make a 'brand'. :rolleyes: It's typical out here in Taiwan for tech. Some non-tech Taiwanese do it very well - Gogoro for example.

Deders - Technically.. yeaa. Actually the USB stuff is very good these days and you don't need a 'special' 5V filtered port either. The chip on those Strix is actually USB 2.0 based. C-Media haven't bothered to update their PCIE line in almost 10 years.

10. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Unless you're looking at doing semi-serious or above music production I can't really see a point to paying for such a card, when a graphics card or the on-board chip can provide it reasonably fine these days.

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I just want to know why it is that ASUS decided to go with orange instead of a red that would match their RoG ranges? Seems rather odd... and stupid to me.

12. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Interesting, with my Z77X-UD4H motherboard and onboard realtek sound, I definitely notice a leap in sound quality when I use my £100 USB DAC instead of the onboard sound.

I'd be genuinely interested to know if newer motherboards, say Z97X or Z170, have cracked this problem. More so, because I'm getting the upgrade itch again, and it would be good being able to use the onboard sound again, providing the quality is there.

13. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

STRIX is a separate line-up to the ROG kit, so the idea is that if you want high-end that's black and red for ROG (i.e. the mobos, Matrix graphics cards, Orion headset, Gladius mouse). Then STRIX is theoretically a level just below that which is black and orange (i.e. the Tactic Pro kb, the Claw mouse, 7.1/Pro/etc headsets, and now the sound cards).

What I find bemusing though, is that both are incomplete families. The ROG hasn't had a headset update in years, and there's no keyboard.

The STRIX on the other hand gives you a full range of peripherals, but no motherboards. I'm not really sure why you would want a ROG motherboard, plus a STRIX graphics card then a STRIX set of peripherals.

Allegedly though the STRIX products should be quicker to market because they don't need to go through the lengthy ROG validation process. Not that they're of a different quality, just that it's easier.

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

ASUS have gone away from the red and black theme this time round, as it is being done by everyone and it is getting old (their words, not mine). :)

15. bigboy678

bigboy678 What's a Dremel?

While i do love a lot of Asus products their driver support is nothing short of pathetic. good luck getting any new drivers after 6 months

16. SchizoFrog

That just isn't true as all the new ASUS Z170 RoG motherboards (at least those already released) are all red and black. It also doesn't explain why ASUS' latest STRIX GPUs from both AMD and nVidia (including the 390X and the 980Ti) are all red and black.
    A sound card is also not a peripheral and so should be designed in line with the rest of internal hardware and as far as I am aware none of ASUS' other internal hardware is orange.

17. TheMadDutchDude

Explain to me why I have an email from the rep saying that then. Also, explain to me the look of the latest ROG motherboards. There are no red slots in sight.

Actually, I'll do you one better. Here's an un-edited image of the motherboard I am currently reviewing. Tell me again how it isn't true...?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Sep 2015
  18. SchizoFrog

First, that is a really poor image which makes the board look darker than it is. However, so some of the heat sinks are a gun metal silver/grey but the PCB is black as are other areas of the MB and the coloured highlights and the LED strips are red, not orange or any other colour. I admit that there is less red than before but red is still the colour of choice. Hero, Ranger, Gene... all follow the same trend but the STRIX sound card is orange, so I believe my original question and the points made still stand.

19. TheMadDutchDude

I told you it was an unedited image. It needs to be retaken anyway, because it is far too dark. You are correct. I was in too much of a rush as I really wanted to try out my new CPU.

20. SchizoFrog

Even RoG motherboards aside, the STRIX sound card doesn't match the STRIX line of GPUs.