1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Hutch (Qmicra v2) The reservoir v.2! Aug 16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 1 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Another project begins... In a change of pace however, this one isn't for me. It's for friend of mine, and since we couldn't come up with anything more creative, we'll be using his nickname "Hutch" as the project title. In true L.O.S.I.A.S. fashion, this project will fit in with everything else I've done. It won't be as extreme as my prior endeavors, but I'll still make very efficient use of space.

This time around, I'll be working with a PC Design Lab Qmicra v2. Hutch managed to procure one of these beauties after speaking with Dave Lalopa of PCDLAB. He requested one that had not yet been painted, and that's exactly what I received.

I took delivery of a surprising light and compact box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After looking over the case inside and out, I've got to say that I'm impressed with it's engineering and build quality. The all aluminum case is also shockingly light. That doesn't mean it's flimsy, there just aren't any extraneous bits on it. Everything has a purpose... and that's exactly what I love in a case.

With the case probed and disassembled... the fun stuff is about to begin.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

NEW PROJECT!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im so exiited!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Is that aluminium textured Craig? In the photos it almost seems like a sort of snake skin style affair.

4. craigbru

Lol, thanks man.

It's not textured, although it does look it. It believe it looks that way simply due to the aluminum's surface prep.

5. craigbru

Now that we've had a little preview of the case, it's time to go over my design goals for this case. The case comes ready for fitment of a 120mm dual radiator. That's quite a nice feature for a small form factor case. However, what do you do if you want more cooling power? Well, you add another radiator of course. That's exactly what I will be doing here. Now, this would be the first Qmicra with a pair of dual 120mm radiators, but it will be the first (to my knowledge) that doesn't make a sacrifice in doing so. Every other attempt has put a second radiator on the left side of the case, and in doing so, has sacrificed at least one slot on the motherboard. Also, when taking that approach, you immediately lose the hard drive caddy. Actually, you lose at least one caddy when adding to a radiator to the right side as well. So. you would then have lost both caddy's (4 drives), and a slot on the motherboard. That's completely unacceptable. I believe that the whole point in modding, is to add function or features, without compromising others.

So, with my inability to compromise, I've made a few basic decisions about the direction of this mod. I'm not going to lose any slots on the motherboard, I'm going to have room for 4 hard drives, there will be room for a pump and reservoir, and the interior well be kept clean and organized.

When you look at the interior of this case, there's really only one other good option for radiator placement. The front... However, in order to put a radiator there, I need to make a few changes. The stock location for the power switch simply won't do. It's time to break out the dremel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that we've got the old center section and mesh out of the way, it's time to get some new mesh cut and put in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There we have it! We now have the area completely opened up, and can get the radiator placement figured out.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

oooooooooooooooooo really cant wait for the mock up pics with hardware.

You plainning on either DFI P45 or X58 mobo?

7. craigbru

X58 all the way... :rock:

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

already looking good craig!

9. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Nice nice nice!

i7 + SFF = A small beast :p

10. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Looks like its set to be another amazing mod! :D

I got scared when I misread the title and thought you were doing a x-qpack mod :hehe:

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sanded aluminum looks gorgeous!

Subbed over here too. ;)

12. craigbru

Thanks man!

It's going to be quite a fun little build!

No x-qpack's here... I'll try and do what I do. :D

Thanks again E.E.L., it does have kind of a unique finish, doesn't it? :thumb:

13. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

Just when I thought the Qmicra couldn't get much better you prove me wrong. :rock: I can't wait to see what you do to/with this.

Def. subscribed.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is a very nice case. I may have to look at that for a HTPC.

Looking great already mate. +sub

15. craigbru

Haha... I'm pretty sure I'll do the little box proud. In fact, I'm trying to convince myself, that I indeed don't really need one for myself. I've got enough other projects on my plate right now. In fact, expect there to be another 'basement mod' thread derailment... In addition, I'm still working on Duality, and totally sidetracked myself with second design. In fact, I may even do the second project first...

Yeah, it is a very nice little box. I think you'd be happy with it!

Thanks!

16. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Looking good craigbru,very nice :thumb:

17. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

In case some of you havn't seen Bill Owen working with this amazing case here are two video's of his.

Hope I'm not stepin' on your toes by adding this Bill. I thought everyone should see how amazing this case really is. Pair the already amazing design with Craigbru's unbelievable talent and this is going to be mind boggling.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I always wondered why no one ever slapped a rad up front on that chassis. This is going to be cool, as always.

19. craigbru

Not a problem. I don't mind if Bill's work gets pimped in this thread. It's really great stuff, and the case is pretty cool as well. A little more publicity is always a good thing. :thumb:

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's never been attempted either. In the next update, you'll see that's not quite as easy as just dropping it in. There has to be a few minor things modded, but it's really not that bad at all. I think it's something that could be added as an option in the 'version 3' of this case. :D

20. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Good to see you back at it Craig. :D I shall enjoy watching you work this time.