1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 loses weight in time for Christmas

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It's a bit lame that the price is HIGHER than the PS3 Slim, which has a slot loading drive and is presumably more expensive to manufacture (since, I imagine, the reason they can slim it down again is down to component process shrinks, component consolidation, and reduced cooling demands, all of which should save money)

My original 40GB is getting a bit temperamental and I will replace it soon, but I'll probably get a Slim rather than the new one (Slimmer? SuperSlim?) even though I prefer the gloss finish, since I'd like the slot loading drive and would rather pick up a 160GB Slim (more than enough space for me - never filled the 40GB) for £185 than a 12GB new one for ~£210(?) or a 500GB for ~£270(?).

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

One day they're going to release a nice looking version of a console that will look nice with a hifi stack instead of these ugly futuristic boxes!

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Unfortunately I doubt this - I'm sure Sony, MS and Nintendo have done their homework and tested various shapes. I bet they'd be delighted if they could get away with a plain black box like a DVD player, but there is a certain expectation as to how a console looks, and unfortunately a lot of people are swayed by that more than by practicalities and performance. Of course there was always Lian Li's XB-01B Xbox 360 case, and I'm sure you could make a cracking mod project out of recasing a PS3...

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I did consider going down the Lian Li route, but thats still not really what I was after. I may end up rehousing my space xbox 360 at some point.

Actually thats not a bad idea.... To the bat cave!

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

How many people are going to be temped by this when the PS4 is just around the corner?

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

If my PS3 which was bought when the PS3 was first released died I would.

8. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Its a little disappointing that my original 60gb (upgraded to 500gb) is still the best one they have made in terms of functionality

9. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Would rather SLi my PC

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Or not.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not necessarily, a friend of mine has a slim and they're still very noisy (not much quieter than the fat versions), which indicate they still have fairly substantial cooling demands. If this new super slim version runs any quieter than the previous models then it would be worth the extra money IMO, especially since a lot of people use it as their main media box.

12. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Why did they chose 500Gb or 12Gb? seems like quite a large gap...

Tags: Add Tags