1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Gaming Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shindead, 28 Aug 2014.

1. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

Ive been very out of touch from the pc world the past few years so I am pretty clueless now as to whats what. Ive had my current system for a fair few years and its seeing its last legs! I am now looking into purchasing a new system for my gaming needs.

I currently only really play league of legends and will probably play the new wow expansion when it comes out. Baring in mind I dont really play any shooters or high gfx games due to my current system holding me back. Ideally id like to be able to play other games that are wayyy too demanding for what I currently run.

I have been looking at http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/warbird-nightblade-1-gaming-desktop-pc-intel-i5-4670k-amd-r9-270x as i just love the idea of a small compact case but I am aware I can probably build something very similiar for quite a bit less then what this would cost. I am able to build a computer, so if there is a massive difference in price I would be happy to do so.

PLEASE HELP :(

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Your first 10 posts will take a little while to appear as they have to be moderated. In order to get the best advice from the community you'd be best to fill out the following form

Budget:
    Main uses of intended build:
    Parts required:
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    Monitor resolution:
    Storage requirements:
    Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Extra information about desired system:

Cheers

GK

3. shindead

Hi sorry! I didnt look at other topics and kinda just went straight in :p I have accidentally made two of these as I thought I deleted the first one.

Budget: £900 but id ideally like to spend more in the 700-800 range
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming - League of Legends and then be able to play the new wow expansion on full settings
    Parts required: All appart from screen
    Previous build information (list details of parts): I literally have no idea i think its Q6600? appart from that I generally cant remember
    Monitor resolution: I have a samsung 24" but will be looking to upgrade to a 27"
    Storage requirements: ideally 1TB and a small SD drive
    Will you be overclocking: yes - but not overly sure how to do it but will read into it
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Extra information about desired system: I would prefer a small nice looking case but not necessary and a NVidia gfx card

4. shindead

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Bit old, is it still the same budget?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZDHQ7

Just a quick build. Can save money by getting a cheaper GPU, forgoing OC and getting a cheaper motherboard and intel processor or going for an FX8320E and AM3+ build. You could also drop down to 8GB ram. Windows 7 is also £2 more

6. shindead

Id just like to point out my pretty much total lack of overclocking knowledge, I am hoping to read up about it and possibly try and bump it up a bit. Windows 7 is a must as I just cannot hack windows 8 :/ I am currently on xp which i LOVE but i dont think will work? Also id love to have the bitfenix prodigy as a case.

Would it be easier to just buy a higher clocked CPU or to go with what you say and pray to god that I can overclock it slightly? :p

the Budget should still be around 800 but the cheaper the better, I only really need it to play League of Legends so i dont mind having a cheaper gfx card and then updating it at a later date. I did read the article for the 860 from asus as it looks alright. Obviously you will all know a lot more then me.

I have come up with this build, pretty much the same as what you posted... I could live without the case change http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KmnghM

Last edited: 26 Jan 2015
  7. javaman

Windows 10 is coming at the end of the year and both win7 and 8 should get a free upgrade. Donno if that's confirmed or rumour tho and with these things I generally don't believe until it happens. Either way both are perfectly viable for gaming currently.

Overclocking wise there are plenty of guides out there. Intels you can bump ip the multiplier get a small OC and call it a day.

I haven't read up on the 860 yet so ill check it out and I'll throw together another build later and focus more on bringing the price down and improving other areas.

8. javaman

ITX build would be good but the small case limits overclocking and the looks to be a size issue with the GPU length. Other than that the build is solid.
    Maybe someone can comment on the PSU

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Silverstone PS07 (or TJ08e) would a bit better than the Prodigy even for ITX. Thanks to the Prodigy's handles it's slightly bigger (taller, wider) than both but the Silverstones have much more internal volume for stuff.

I just got an open box TJ08 for £48 too, there's deals if you're prepared to look.

10. shindead

would it be better/cheaper if i get a normal sized case? Im not that bothered how big it is I just liked the idea of it being small.

11. javaman

Look around, Cases very often appear on offer. PCpartpicker can sort cases by price so take a look at a few based on that, see if you like the look, it has enough drive bays, front panel USB3 etc. and see if they support ATX, mATX or itx (Largest -> Smallest).
    I do recommend getting a larger case to start off with since they support multiple form factors and as time progresses can accommodate more drives and dual graphics, radiators etc.

Cases are hard to recommend since it really comes down to what you like or are willing to put up with in some occasions.