1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can we up our ppd by 5 million?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hardware.no
    • Difference: -4,338,759
    • Take Over date: 02.20.15, 5pm / 10.5 Months

Can we do it? :eek:

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Would be nice to overtake a team - it's been a while!
    I'm guessing Nelio's spree, which has given the team a good boost, will only last till he has to hand the hardware over ... so we might need more than the additional 5M over the 10 months.

3. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

That is true.

Cheers again Nelio. :thumb:

Hmm possibly need 11million.

Probably need to double our active members. :rolleyes:

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If someone wants to pick up my quad socket F and pair of Istanbul hexacores and put them to work, that would help. We're on a severely capped connection and our power bill has more than doubled because Alabama Power are greedy and it's been extreme weather here.

5. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Amazing offer KayinBlack. :thumb:

I'd take ya up on it, but in a different country. :waah:

6. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Good point : Iv started folding again now that's iv got a house and internet again :D

Bad point : My H100's fan controller has failed, only half the fans working, and my motherboard has 5 out of the 8 memory slots not working, so mibbi have to rma both these and be back offline.

Looks like ebay for a 775 socket motherboard and get my old q6600 working again.

7. Nelio

Nelio What's a Dremel?

Myself and my colleague have been thinking about this a bit. When we have to hand back the rack mount workstations, the users will be giving up various HP Z800/Z820 systems and a number of Dell T5500 workstations and getting much smaller terminals to remote connect to the big guys.
    We'll be able to pick the best of 'em and get them folding. Probably won't handle the bigadv's we've been having but hopefully will help keep a few million ppd going. The Z820's will manage the bigadv's as they've got 32 cores. The rest fall short of that now. *fingers crossed*

8. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Been a long time since I had my machines folding, but have decided to join in again.
    All my PC's are used daily so they won't be dedicated machines; hence I'm only installing the standard windows client.

My main PC is a 3930k with 3 x 290x's - thankfully watercooled. I'll leave this on as much as I can, but the heat it's kicking out is immense. After being on a few hours, my room is like a sauna.
    It's my gaming rig, so of an evening the folding will stop - The client estimates that it will generate around 150,000 ppd, so hopefully I'll be able to produce 100k per day on this.

I also have a 2nd PC which I use as a media PC and for playing football manager on. At the moment this only has a 270x and the folding output looks pretty dire.
    I've decided that I will sell the 270x and have ordered a 780ti.

Are there any settings in the folding console that I should change to get more points out of it?

Last edited: 9 May 2014
  9. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Although I'm only a tiny contributor by comparison, I'm thinking about re-building my gaming rig and looking towards the AMD R9 280X, which being a re-branded HD 7970 (if I'm correct?) means with some tweaking (beta flags on my GPU slot) I could rise my overall PPD from about 30K to 45-60K?

If someone can confirm this, I'll start p***sing off my bank manager again by spending lots of cash! Every little bit helps...

10. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

The AMD cards are largely WU dependant, you should get 50k PPD as a minimum. And around 120k PDD as a maximum. There can be massive droughts of the good units though.

11. mikemaher205

In comparison to an nVidia GeForce GTX 770, they seem as capable in gaming but they offer greater potential for PPD?

I unfortunately can't fold 24/7 so fluctuations in WU allocated affect me less I believe. I used to really like AMD products, never seemed to have grown loyal to my nVidia card. Scouring eBay for some deals and seems the AMD cards can be up to £100 cheaper if you're a bit clever/lucky.

12. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

People are ditching old mining cards right now etc.

I have a 7970 TOP DCUII I am looking to shift, only mined for a week or so and wasn't the best at it. Then I built my farm and it was used in my gaming PC for 6 months and has sat out for 2 months now unused as I have kept a few of my 290's and use them in my machines instead. May be convinced to sell it if you are interested.

13. mikemaher205

Thank you kindly for the offer, but I just sourced a Radeon R9 280X in the Gigabyte Windforce OC (Rev2) flavour on eBay for £80 cheaper than the shops.

FPS in games they can battle with a GTX 770, even passing them on higher resolutions, and seems to be folding well although my little GTX 660 started picking up 30K PPD on it's own last night! Guess I'll have to have 2 folding rigs to compare... bummer!

14. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi the 660 can get 50ish ppd is it getting 17 units try with the beta flag

15. mikemaher205

I need to brush up on my Folding bits, will look tomorrow at what WU's it's getting and also set the beta flag up for it, but need to scour the Folding forums first to refresh my memory!

Edit: Without a beta flag, my GTX 660 is working through WU with a FahCore: 0x17... :)

Last edited: 11 May 2014
  16. Chris_Waddle

Well I'm now in full swing and have racked up almost 900,000 points in the last 24hrs.

I do now have a couple of rooms warm enough to grow coconut trees in though!

17. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

Kayin, I'd fold with your quad socket f

18. Chris_Waddle

Well I'm not sure how much longer I can keep up my current rate (currently at 830,000ppd).

My wife is going mental at me for the heat it's generating. As my main point generator is my gaming rig and it's in the TV room, the temp is in the high 30's!!

These 290x's don't half create some points, but boy do they kick out some heat too!!

I'm delighted with the system, rock solid and no temps over 60ish degrees on either the CPU or GPU's.

I might have to just turn it off during the day and run it at night, but I really don't want to drop points for the team; especially as I've just got started again. Fingers crossed for some typically cold English weather!

19. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi chris get a mobile ac or put a vent in the window

20. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

I have just noticed team Curecoin. I had never heard of them before today but they are outscoring the top teams by a wide margin.
    "CureCoin is a CryptoCurrency based on coupling SHA-256 Mining and Folding@Home Protein Folding".
    They are due to pass us in about 6 weeks.