1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Excel help

Discussion in 'Software' started by dancingbear84, 23 Dec 2015.

1. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'm usually quite good on excel, and consider myself to be a competent excel user, but not an expert.

I have a workbook with 2 sheets

1 sheet has call data, the following are the key cells

Call type (3 differing values)
    Dialled number
    Calling number

Sheet 2
    Has a load of contact data in different columns, the key ones are home number, Office number, mobile number, other number.

What I want to do is the following:
    Lookup a number from sheet 1 in sheet 2 and return the name.

This sounds simple, and works with 8 separate vlookup formulae. What I want to do is to nest those 8 formulae into 1. But I can't wrap my head around it.

Using if doesn't seem to work and I can't think of another way of doing it. Any ideas gratefully received.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To be honest I don't think you have described the problem very well. That's totally understandable, sometimes when you are neck deep in something it's easy to over look details that you are familiar with but are required for others to get on board. None the less I've had a stab at what I think you are trying to do. Bear in mind that I'm the pissed side of mildly pissed so I may have it completely wrong. Link below, let me know if you can't download it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Wf4B9zbZ54bUVKMG54VGpGOEU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: 24 Dec 2015
  3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Thanks that looks to be spot on, I will give it a try in a bit when I'm in the office and have some data to test with and let you know how I get on. From seeing what you've done I think I see where I went wrong, which was if with vlookups.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Good. I hope you find it useful. Anyway its Christmas, which means eating and drinking and not working.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I recommend rearranging your data in sheet2 to have only three fields, number, type and name. It'll be a lot more practical, you'll be able to have people with more than three numbers then.