1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Synology DS214play

Discussion in 'Software' started by hairyknacker, 21 Jan 2016.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Am having to go to the Dark Side and use an iMac for my office and have a large iTunes library currently on an internal 8TB drive on my pc

I need to get these files to be used by the iMac and have an existing Synology DS214play- 2 bay which I can use the 8TB and a 5TB drive but wonder if it will work with a Mac as I've not tried this before.

This iTunes library has to be on either external drives but would prefer a single unit as space is very limited

Thanks peeps

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Speaking from great experience, it's a pest migrating large iTunes libraries anywhere other than a "local" (internal or USB connected) disc on a Mac. Indeed you can move the library to the NAS using Finder, point iTunes at the NAS and update your iTunes preferences, however whenever the Mac next performs a software update it'll revert to the local storage location. Crazy but true.

You'll also struggle to see the NAS drive after each reboot - for some reason Macs seem rubbish at connecting to LAN devices after bootup.

Those things aside your NAS will work fine the Mac. Make sure AFP or SMB are running (they are by default on a Synology), boot the NAS on your network and it'll appear in Finder. Make sure you use "Connect As" and enter the admin credentials (usually admin/admin) when you first connect via Finder, otherwise you'll not have permissions to read/write to the NAS.

3. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Thanks for the reply- looks as if I will have to purchase an external hard drive then as I do have a couple of external drives but would like to keep it simple with the files in one location rather than 2.