1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Radeon Pro Duo Polaris refresh

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Is it just me, or is the price (given it's a workstation card) extremely low?

I'm also curious as to what gaming performance it could offer? I'll shoot the first person who says 'but that's not what it's meant for' - I know, just wondering.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It is, indeed, really well priced.

Largely, I suspect, to the absolute stranglehold that CUDA has on the workstation/HPC compute market. It's getting a little bit silly.

If I could convince my boss to let me do nothing but focus on rewriting CUDA to OpenCL for a few months, I'd be interested. As it is, I'll just suck it up and keep using nVidia.

:sigh:

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If the dual-gpu is supported and works properly, and if you're using an app or renderer that plays nice with AMD then it's good value.

But as Paradigm Shifter points out, given that corner of the market is fairly heavily skewed towards nVidia/CUDA [and Intel], that's some pretty big 'ifs'.

TL-DR; if you're using anything made by Autodesk, this card isn't for you.