1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Why Vista is late?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

!

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Apparently Longhorn Server is tested on 10,000 machines 24/7, same for Server 2003!

I can believe it's management's fault :D

ch424

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

i can understand why it takes so long, using the beta you can see just how complex it is

5. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Guess we'll be finding Philip Su's body rolled up in a carpet and ditched in a abandoned lot or at the bottom of the Hudson, after that insider report.
    I agree that Microsoft is flawed in the amount of coders and workers ratioed to the amount of vice presidents, which must be in triple figures by now...
    But bad managment being the main reason for the delay in Vista? Yeah I can buy tha, but I still think that the extra time they have clawed back from the delays has to be used to clean up the code and create a more coherent and stable OS, less security holes. But it looks like the holes are in the very managment structure of Mircosoft... We wait and see if Vista is pushed back even further...

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This isn't any different from the developer who tore into Sony and the PS3.

It's nice to see that someone has the guts to stand up and say that there is too much management and not enough work being done... now if only someone would say it about the NHS... :rolleyes:

7. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Well it depends on how is done of the code writing at the momment. That will decide wheter or not it will be released this year or in 2007

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

"too many cooks spoil the broth"

Typical when a company gets too bloated, i gotta say tho, 1000 - 2500 lines /yr, Thats pretty rubbish imo .... ive written 1000 lines of code in a day before, though not anywhere near the level of programming MS programmers work at

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

After reading that blog about how the VPs keep sending the programmers back to 'come up with something else' until they hear what they want to hear, I thought today's Dilbert was strangely apt!

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This just illustrates something that I've always thought about Windows. It's trying to be too much at one time.

Windows is an operating system, and it should stick to that because it does that quite well. Trying to force an application to do too much only creates problems (and delays) down the road.

-monkey

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

12. RTT

RTT #parp

It's funny - back in 2001 would you have believed that it'd be 2007 at least before we see the next Windows? :eek:

13. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

So... Will Duke Nukem Forever be a bundled extra?

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Well, I reckon the saying is true. Give 2,000 monkies keyboards and they'll eventually bang out an OS.

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

lol ^^

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Vista will come out a cripled OS with lots of holes so microsoft can gain some extra profit and make you buy "protection". anyway i hope this is not a crap OS like ME was.

17. mattyt

mattyt What's a Dremel?

18. phoenix174

phoenix174 What's a Dremel?

After all this time, you would think that Vista would be at least 1 more step closer to being finished.
    However, as one person said above, you'd think that they'd be spending all this time cleaning up the code. Whats the bet that when Vista comes out, 1 week later there will be 20 Hotfixes?

19. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

Here's what I think. Back in the day when microsoft was young in the pre 2000 era Microsoft could roll out a new operating system in just a couple of years. Look at Windows '95 and '98. It came out really quickly. Now Microsoft is not as lean and nimble they used to be able to make changes easily there wasn't some incredible amount of code. You look at the open source community today and they can do anything look at projects such as audacity,firefox (well kinda),true crypt, and wikipedia. The industry has changed the young fresh meat in the programming community actually aren't working for the big corporations, they are going toward the open source community some of these projects make a huge amount of money. And the fact is that Microsoft's programmers are a little past their prime and thats why vista is delayed. When there's also 50 million lines of code it takes the old guys even longer.

20. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I think microsofts real problem is they are trying so intensley to break into competing markets at the expense of thier own core business of making operating systems. They are trying to take down Sony, Google, Apple, and a few others, in markets that do not have any influence on what operating system people use to use programs from Google and the like. Now as we have seen, Vista is later and later, and being stripped of all features that were supposed to make it a truley new Windows. I have played with Vista beta 2, and it seems mostly like a really pretty and enhanced XP. Granted it is a whole new story underneath.

I can see with its complexity that beta and bugs will be numerous and take some time to fix. But I think this is MS's own fault for letting loose a release date they couldnt have possibly met.

I will still hope for a Phantom game console that runs Vista so I can play Duke Nukem Forever though ;)

Tags: Add Tags