1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling New watercooled PC - water loop advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fat Tony, 4 May 2012.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Right then Chaps, I'm in the mood for an update, and money is available. The object of the game is more aesthetics than necessity - style over substance if you will.

I've currently got i7 930 / x58 / GTX 570 SLi. The CPU and GPU are cooled with a custom water cooled loop entailing an XSPC dual bay res and pump combo, a 360 rad in the roof of a Corsair Obsidian 800D, a Swiftech XT CPU block and an EK SLI link block on the GPUs.

I've been waiting for the launch and reviews of Ivy Bridge before I made a decision on a new set up, and have decided to go i7 3930 and x79. But will also take the opportunity to make use of a set of EK motherboard water blocks on the Asus Rampage Extreme board. Overall I'd like to get a stable long term 5Ghz overclock - but that's to be seen.

I also have the option to make use of another XSPC dual bay res and pump combo. I bought two at the time I bought the original based upon the reviews saying that they had a useable operating lifespan of 12 months - and I thought that I might need a replacement - the one I've been using has been fine for 18 months, and shows no sign of giving up - so I might as well make use of the other as well.

I've also refitted the Swiftech XT CPU block so many times now that the screws are a bit threaded and less than perfect. So I've bought a new Swiftech HD block as a replacement for when the socket 2011 arrives (and I think I'll be able to sub the 1366 spec screws from the HD block back onto the XT block giving me a useable 1366 block as well - hopefully)

Anyway, I've now got a series of options for a cooling set up

The simplest option is - keep just the one loop, keep just the 360 rad, and add the MOSFET and chipset cooling into the loop after the CPU block and before the GPU block - simples, but boring I feel. The added resistance of the MOSFET and chipset cooling into the loop might affect the flow / stress on the pump - not sure, we'd have to see I suppose.

Or I could -

Add the second Res/Pump and create a second loop. In doing so I would also need to add in an additional radiator. I only have space for a 120 rad - but in two different locations - meaning I COULD have two 120 rads if I wanted.

My initial thoughts were that I add the second loop, and add both 120 rads - just because I can - this is not a performance thing remember - and do the loops like this -

- Loop 1 = Pump/Res - 360 rad - CPU - Chipset - Pump/Res
    - Loop 2 = Pump/Res - 120 rad - GPU - 120 rad - MOSFETS - Pump/Res

The question then becomes - how ? - what flow direction ? Options, options, options

Other options to consider - the CPU block supports 1 in 3 out - could I make use of this ?

Below is an outline of what the system will look like without pipes - I'd welcome your expert input on flow

[​IMG]

What I'm erring towards at the moment

[​IMG]

Fat Tony

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

:thumb:

Last edited: 4 May 2012
  3. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Can I just say that it really doesnt matter where the radiators go in the loop as the coolant will usually reach an equilibrium and keep a relatively constant temperature throughout the loop.