1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Kingsley813

Kingsley813 What's a Dremel?

Given the analysis, would this SSD be good for use as a scratch disk? I currently have a Samsung 830 256GB for Windows, but looking for buy another for my CAD and 3D rendering temp files.

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Unless you need a new drive ASAP I would sit on it for a while and see if there are any problems. Last years batch of SSD's seemed to all have problems related to the controller. My vertex 3 gave me the BSOD many many times before a firmware update fixed it.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Not worth the extra for me. I'll be picking up a 256gb 830 this weekend!

5. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

@runadumb - Samsung and Crucial seem to have good reports - I thought the problems (& BSODs) were mainly to do with Sandforce SSDs?

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

A little late with the report here...

Any chance of an old F/W vs the new? The reads and writes on the lower file sizes according to ASSSD sees the drives performance drop like a stone... just wondering what your thoughts are on this as to me it looks like in some cases it may actually be better to have an old F/W, which of these cases however is unknown so some insight would make for good reading.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

it will be interesting to see how there own controller behaves rather than buying in a marvell one - unless thats how they are moving onwards?

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Suggestion: In the graphs you could have added with a different color, the performance of a Sandforce based unit (say, Vertex3) with compressible data. It would have given a more accurate view of their performance delta in other scenarios than what you tested them for: artificially created data guaranteed not to compress.

9. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

They said in the article that they removed the compressible data test because it wasn't representative of what the drive will be used for; adding in information on how compressible data is handled would kinda defeat the point of this.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I thought this too but think it might not be as simple as that & to do with controllers on motherboards also but clearly was a problem with that generation of sandforce mostly.

I'm glad they dropped sandforce, those drives shouldn't have made it to retail IMHO, the corsair force3 was a waste of money for me & with it not getting sorted for me I'll not use it again, an OS drive causing BSOD at completely random times, no thanks, I downgraded to a ocz vertex 2e & had no problems at all since but want to go for a speedy but reliable drive like the samsung 830s or these, samsung is cheaper so they win & these ones have yet to prove themselves also. :D

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The 256GB Samsung 830 is available for 143 quid, why would anyone go for the Vertex 4 at 200?

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Because its faster. And it will probably drop in price soon anyway.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the question is - is the speed increase (which is only minor at times) worth the extra £60.....

14. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I'll keep my Vertex 3s thanks.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

That is often the question when buying things like an i7 over an i5 or a 4gb gtx 680 over a 2gb 680. The more you pay, the faster it is (usually :p)

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nah an i7 isnt worth it over an i5 for gaming and neither is a 4gb gtx 680 (its slower actually - ram latency at all eyefinity resolutions) and really having used most ssd`s in the list , tbh - the `speed` increase of a heartbeat or 2 isnt worth £60

17. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

The latency would lose you barely anything by the way. 2GB is stretchy for 1080 let alone eyefinity. Bit OT but ho-hum lol.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

well tpu / andand / hexus and here have all proven that the limiting factor at say 5760x1080 is bandwidth not the amount of ram - and the frame rates are near identical on both 2gb and 4gb cards.

sorry going off topic

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  19. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

LOL. Proven is a strong word. Framerate doesn't always constitute overall performance, BF3 at that resolution on a reference 680 is laughable.

Just no way, been there and tried it.

Anyway still off topic - another day ;)

20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Not this. Again.

GTX 680 4GB? No difference. Now don't make me come back there!

Tags: Add Tags