1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry for leaving

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tattysnuc, 4 Dec 2011.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Hi folks,

I stopped folding for Bit-tech a while back after I'd reached my personal objective of a top 200 place. I naively thought that my first "love" (Hexus) were a more deserving cause, and started to try and rally their team a little. Well, 18 months later, I'm spending my entire weekend populating spreadsheets and deriving little known "facts" about user performance (well, compiling numbers and writing commentary) and we've still only got about 5 or 6 people who contribute, which has gotten a little soul destroying.

For stats see:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=69776

For discussion see:
    http://forums.hexus.net/distributed-computing/

During my time over there we took our monthly output from a couple of million up to a peak of 12.7million, which was mostly due to one user commandeering his works servers while they were not in production. However, since he has stopped folding, our numbers have dropped off, and, well, it seems, my enthusiasm and efforts are being somewhat wasted. Our userbase is back down to around 20 and the amount of coverage that the site gives to those who fold (or now folded) in the name of Hexus, has been minimal. Almost reluctant.

Requests were made to include folding performance details as part of the reviews. Nothing came back, but unfulfilled "promises". All the information relating to folding performance, reviews etc, were hyperlinks to Bit-tech articles, or other forums.

Likewise with the community, I have posted simple questions here, and received feedback, and active discussion on Folding and related matters. In Hexus, it can be days, sometimes even weeks before someone else posts a response.

As for some of the comments from Hexites towards Bit-tech - I'm sorry but they've done nothing but lambaste the reviews and opinions of Bit-tech in a childish pedantic fashion. Some of it is constructive, and well placed, but some of the other "opinion" is just plain unfounded banter. I would urge Bit-tech/CPC to do better coverage of AMD's components, because some of the recommendations that have been made in the past seemed to have a very strong Intel bias, where things like "upgrade path" were somewhat biassed sounding - but that's another discussion.

The final straw for me has been the Market place. Here on Bit-tech, I've seen a very active, thriving environment where I have had many positive experiences, and it was this which was the final nail in my Hexus folding coffin. I'm a one active forum member type of guy.

As of yesterday, I have hung up my Hexus folding boots. I will compile my final spreadsheet for the November performance, and then I will do it no more. I may even do the "Folder of the year", but then I intend to focus my attentions and energy on Bit-techs team - after all, it was CPC that got me interested in folding in the first instance.

Thank you for being a warm and more comfortable place, and I'm sorry for ever leaving. I therefore pledge my 1.5m+ points per month to Bit-tech/CPC.

So long Hexus, and thanks for all the fish.

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Although not a 'core member' of the CPC&BitTech Folding Team, let me be the first to say: Welcome back!

I know the official point of view is that team membership is not really important to the project.
    But the community you fold with, having helpful people to give you advice and cheer you up is important to YOU, no doubt about it! Nobody wants to feel alone in his/her efforts. Choosing a team you feel comfortable being a member of, as opposed to a 'closer-to-home' team is something I understand. :D

Tattysnuc likes this.
  3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

It's always good to have someone come back onboard - so welcome back :thumb:

Tattysnuc likes this.
  4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Welcome back to the team. And how did you finish up with the fuzz busting into your house? Get it all sorted.

Tattysnuc likes this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So you should be :p

I've nothing against HeXus as a site, it's a go-to for reviews along with here, but i generally avoided the forums as some of the community seemed a little up themselves...

Tattysnuc likes this.
  6. Tattysnuc

Cheers mate - It's still in the process of being fixed. They're replacing with better, which has meant that they are having to custom make a new front door with stained glass (it's not a standard fix, but an oversized door) out of hardwood, along with replacing 3 doors down stairs with custom made ones - they only broke 1, but in order to keep them matching, they will have to replace all 3. The rooms upstairs just need some of the door frame "sectioning" i.e. replacing a chunk of wook in the door, so they are custom made also, and away in the workshop.

By way of apology, they are also replacing the stained glass in our vestibule door which the dog went through - that's a very expensive job (£2k+) which we were unable to afford to do, so as long as they manage to deliver on these points, we'll be quite happy. It seems to be dragging on a bit, so we'll see.

At the moment it's annoying because in my computer room or "Toy room" as the wide likes to call it, it gets quite warm as you might expect with 3 machines folding 24/7, and consequently the dog and cats like to go in there to "catch some rays".

I have a mild allergy to cats - and my room is my haven - that and our bedroom. At the moment my asthma is giving me all sorts of gyp. It's only supported to be short term, but it's frustrating in the meantime. We've also had to delay putting up some of the Xmas decorations up in one of the rooms because the door is "incomplete" because the dog loves chewing Baubles - this same dog loves chasing one of the cats - the same cat which likes climbing (Xmas)trees.... Cue Tom and Jerry cartoon. You get the gist.

I await for events to unfold. I'll have to update the original thread I posted.

7. Tattysnuc

I can't find the posting in the forums so that I can update. Please tell me I'm not going mad, and where did I post it. I've searched twice for posts I've created and neither time I can see it. Weird. I was certain I had posted on here.

8. Tattysnuc

B@gger - internet's gone down at home. No submissions for 12 hours from me.

:(

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't even fold, but welcome back! Wahey!

10. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

It was on the Hexus site

11. Tattysnuc

ahhhh. No wonder It didn't show up. I usually post questions on both, so hence my confusion.

Ta for clearing that up.

12. Tattysnuc

Why not? Go on, while your rigs not in use. You never know, you might even get your name in the mag!

:)

13. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

So Tattysnuc, is this the place to fold then? :)

Tattysnuc likes this.
  14. Tattysnuc

Stalker :) !!!

I've found that this is the best place for me to fold.

For you, that would wholly depend on what you want to get out of it. The larger user base here means that there's a larger knowledge/experience base and there's certainly more discussion on the subject.

:)

15. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

Welcome back ! :clap:

16. Tattysnuc

Internet keeps going off at home, hence the gaps today and the day before. Frustrating as I was going to work this evening to find that my Internet has come on while I've been watching telly downstairs.

LennyRhys likes this.
  17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's guys like yourself that contribute to that active and thriving environment - you're a top seller and top bloke. Welcome back. :thumb:

Now if I referred to my wife as "wide" I don't think she'd be best pleased. :D :D :D

18. Tattysnuc

Thanks LennyRhys - I'm so glad that the WIDE doesn't come on here reading up after me.... Mind you, it would explain some of her mood swings lately :)

19. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

lol, that sounds like dangerous ground to be on :D

20. big-bert

big-bert What's a Dremel?

Hi Tattysnuc, welcome back....

Seems that you'll be overtaking me in a few weeks, congrats!!! What are you currently folding with?