1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress LianLi PC7-HX MOD - Project Clu (a tribute to Tron)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Grizlebeez, 9 Nov 2012.

1. Grizlebeez

Grizlebeez What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Clu, the evil digital doppelganger of Kevin Flynn and the Tyrant leader of "The Grid" is my inspiration for this build.

Clu (which stands for: Codified Likeness Utility) was created by Kevin Flynn, the famous game designer and owner of the multinational software developing company ENCOM. Flynn programmed Clu to help him create a digital utopia for the human race nicknamed "The Grid". His design seemed to be flawless until a group of programs came to be...The ISOs.

the ISOs were an anomaly. seemily created out of thin air these "programs" or "beings" part genetic and part digital and while Flynn saw these new digital beings as a special gift, Clu despised them and marked them as a flaw in his utopia.

Eventually Clu's hatred for his creator, the digital world he felt trapped in and these ISOs, led Him to betray Kevin Flynn and his counterpart program TRON and seize control of "The Grid"

"You- You promised that we would change the world, together. You broke your promise...I took this system to it's maximum potential. I created the perfect system!  Kevin Flynn! Where are you now? " ~Clu

My main focus for this mod is on clothing from the movie "TRON:Legacy". The illuminated lines and circles outlining the silhouette of the figure resemble circuitry. The clothing also acts as a color que to the movie watcher as an indication of the characters nature (good/bad)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clu's armor has subtle differences that distinguish himself from the rest of the villans. His armor glows a cool amber. and his left chest has multiple sets of bars almost like a futuristic military decoration. I plan to adapt Clu's armor patterns into the outside panels of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Chassis for this build is LianLi's PC-7HX. this case was chosen specifically to meet the requirements for LianLi's new case mod competition.

it has the fit and finish you come to expect and appreciate from LianLi and at 120$ dollars, i think its one of the most affordable chassis they make.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the case Being a mid tower design, space is a bit of an issue. I hope to use Swiftech's ApogeeDrive2 for this build. it will free up a bit of room in the case and also add some very nice aesthetic appeal. I plan on making my own Amber colored insert to match the finished build's color scheme.
    [​IMG]

along with the Swiftech ApogeeDrive keeping the CPU nice and cold, the GPUs will also be under water but i am working on a very different setup for these and would like to keep it "secret" for now.

Cooling for the loop will be supplied via 1x MCR 360mm radiator mounted on the top.(this will require a bit of modification to the case)
    1x X flow 240mm radiator in the front of the case and also 1x 120mm radiator mounted in the rear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fittings:
    6x bitspower T-fittings
    4x Bitspower Crystal Link Fittings (or using clear tubing depending on looks and budget)
    10x Bitspower 5/8" compression fittings

Parts and components running total:
    CPU - AMD 8320 ~ $176
    MOBO - AUSUS Crosshair Formula V $220
    RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2133 mhz $126
    GPUs - 3x GTX 460 1gb gddr 5 pcie $300
    Samsung SSD ~ $135
    PC Power&Cooling 1k watt PSU donated by Sunset1 Of OCN
    IanLi Pc-7HX case $140 shipped

Cooling:
    Swiftech ApogeeDrive II - $150 nib
    3 Asetek CLC pump/blocks
    1x Black ice 120mm radiator - $65 nib
    1x black ice X-Flow 240mm radiator - $70 nib from fleabay
    1x swiftech MCR 360mm radiator - Purchasing from Tlxxxsracer of OCN$45

The case,acrylic,sheet metal,paint,and some other bits will be in by monday (11/10/12) so i will have some updates then. for now I am teaching myself sketchup to design the everything for the case. i am use to just coming up with ideas..doing them...and showing completed project off so making a build log is a rough concept. i want to share as much of the process with everyone as possible so i am doing my best not to get ahead of myself and to go step by step.

a little about myself: My name is Ryan (better known as Griz /or/ PcE) i am 27 and have been a pc mod enthusiast for a little over a year now. my first completed case mod was a DiabloIII themed Antec 300 v.1 Since then i have built a fully custom micro-atx case as well as several case mods for friends and customers. i hope you like the pictures of the diablo build and i look forward to sharing my new build with yal' here at Bit-tech

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *new tubes*
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my build. Will update soon :rock:

Last edited: 11 Nov 2012
  2. krussellusaf

krussellusaf What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to this one. Subbed.

3. Grizlebeez

designing panels today. will post more when done. working on a couple different ideas for each and picking my favorite ones later.

[​IMG]

4. Grizlebeez

i decided to do some cardboard replicas of all the panels to give myself a better visual reference.

this will be the new front of the case (little gold thingy is "button")

[​IMG]

5. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

TRON MOD Cheesecake! Keep it up! ;)

6. Grizlebeez

thanks man, deadline is early january so i hope i can pull it all off :rock:

7. Grizlebeez

I would like to take a moment to thank my new "sponsor" for the build.

Sunset1
    [​IMG]

tho he is not really sponsoring me...i feel his generosity needs to be shared with everyone

Sunset1 a member over @ Overclock.net has donated to me a PC Power&Cooling 1k watt PSU and a CLC kit from asetek for me to mod onto one of my gtx460s.

We have been in "kahootz" for a while now concerning modding the pre-built cooling kits that are available on the market these days and Sunset seems dead set on making me see this build through to the end and win the case mod competition for LianLi. way to put the pressure on dude! :thumb:

i can not thank him enough for the Goodies and i have promised him that they will see GOOD use in this build.

Please share the mod love if you get the chance...you might just help some poor schmuck achieve his dream! :dremel:

Sunset is one awesome guy :rock:

Last edited: 11 Nov 2012