1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Crucial C300 performance on Sabertooth

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hugemonkey, 3 Jan 2011.

1. hugemonkey

hugemonkey What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

After lots of reading on bit-tech and these forums I have just upgraded to an Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo and Crucial C300 128gb SSD... all in all very happy but I have a question.

I have run ATTO Disk Benchmark and have a query about the results: [​IMG]

As you can see the read speeds don't seem to be very impressive until the tests hit 16.0. The drive is registering in the bios at 6gbs transfer rate, I have a clean install of Windows 7 and I have made sure I have all of the latest drivers installed.

Strangely enough, my brother has just also got a C300 and is running it on a Asus U3S6 controller card and he's ATTO results show the opposite to mine : His read speeds start off very fast (almost double mine) but they drop off as the test continues.

Any input would be very much appreciated as to how to improve my read speeds so they are really quick from the get go.

Thanks a lot!

2. hugemonkey

Hi,

Just thought I would update you with a couple of things I have tried since originally posting.

I have flashed the drives firmware to 006 (the latest ver) and have changed the drives mode from IDE to AHCI.

Both changes don't seem to have made any difference to the performance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

That's exactly as you'd expect things to be in atto...

The 'headline' speeds of any SSD are based upon the larger sequential ones as these always look the most impressive (one company does it, so they all have to as numbers are everything to the consumer) - though, even with the smaller r/ws, you now have the advantage of vastly improved access times for them having a SSD.

This is shown, for example, when you do any small file testing with a larger queue depth vs single ones - well, individual small file r/w testing are not representative of almost all r.l. usage, since an OS's small r/w access actually has a much larger queue depth than 1 which allows much faster speeds overall (again) in r.l....

...though they will still be slower than the larger sequential ones.

Similarly, of course, HDD manufacturers all boast about their max sequential speeds, when we all know that they tail off, to a greater or lesser extent, towards the centre...

Oh & a HDD would show a similar pattern in ATTO - just with much lower numbers (unless you've got something very fast in the 15K enterprise line where the larger sequential writes could well be bested).

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  4. hugemonkey

Thanks for your response :)

I'm glad mine is performing as expected. Do you think the difference in benchmark performance between mine and my brothers is purely down to the controller then?