1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ((CASE CLOSED/ReSETTING)) mITX low-noise Home Server build log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AT0MAC, 14 Apr 2012.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Update 21st September:

Resetting the whole setup for the purpose of building a Hackintosh Server running OSX instead... Will make a completely new build log when I am done (just so it's not getting as cluttered as this one).

For now you can follow the new build on my blog - Hackingtosh.info

(yes, it has a G in it...)

I have for about a month now wanted to build a NAS/Home server and finally I have seriously started.

The past month I have researched a lot about various details, an have to say Bit-tech users are awesome, you have been so much help!

My initial idea was something super small, mITX and absolutely silent.
    After giving that some thought I found out that super small is a bad idea for future expansions and absolute silent could mean the death to most hardware if not done with enough care.

So the idea I had gone with instead was a mATX chassis with a integrated mITX motherboard inside.

I want to keep everything fairly pro/high-level because of reliability so it's not going to be a cheap NAS to build. You might ask why I even bother to build one - well, I have had NAS before and they all ended up dead within fairly short time for one reason or the other... I want to see if I can make a better one, in terms of quality.

Also I have a two requirements it has to be able to do which very few NAS can:

Backup to the cloud!
    Run Plex mediaserver

------------------------------

The build so far, these pictures will be regular switched out to the newest edition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shopping list:

MB: Super Micro X7SPA-HF-D525 (Low power, many expansion possibilities and supports IPMI for perfect headless operation)

RAM: Hynix 2x2GB DDR1333 running at 800MHz (because thats the limit of the MB, have them from my now upgraded Mac)

Case: Lian Li PC-Q11A, small, stylish and very practical without the need for major surgery.

Fans: NoiseBlocker NB-Multiframe 1x M12-P (to make the air move, but not actual cool, I want it to be super low noise)

PSU: Seasonic X400 (fanless! 80+ GOLD! and have 33Amp on the 12v rail! AWESOME!!)

Movie drive: Hitachi 5K3000 3TB version (Hitachi 5K3000 is apparently the most reliable drive at the moment)

Music + other data drive: Hitachi 5K3000 2TB so I can go all Hitachi = high reliability :D

OS drive: After a long hunt I have gotten two Integral Memory Endurance SLC based 4GB and 8GB SD cards and a Kingston MobileLite G2 card reader.

Optical drive: Will disassemble my trusty Lacie D2 DVD burner and mount the drive in the server.

Just to mention, I will mount the M12-P fan somewhere in the case in a Lian Li BS03 and blow down on the hard drives below it. The SATA cables themselves will be 5x (because the case can host 2x 2.5 drives also) 12" latching SATA III 90' cables (if they are long enough) from the brand Startech.

I have to say this is not a super fast build, I don't have enormous amounts of spare time so posts will come as I build along in a slow and steady pace.

(!) My primary language is NOT English, so please bare over with me if I write things a little strange sometimes - I am a Viking from the tiny in size but mighty in awesomeness - Denmark.

Lastly a little about me, I have used computers since I was like 6 years old and was playing Commodore 64 with my brother, loading games off casette tapes!
    For close to 15 years I have been a PC user, builder and slightly starting to mod - until I a few years ago had enough of Windows Vista and wanted something that just worked - so I switched to Mac and will never go back...
    Have now owned a Mac Mini version 2.1 2007 model that I turned to the dark side as the Black Mini, I have had a Mac Mini version 4.1 2010 Server I tuned to be epic fast with two Seagate Momentus XT in RAID0 and 8GB of snappy fast RAM. Lately I have tuned my newest Mac Mini 5.2 2011 model to be one of the fastest on the planet (of it's breed/modeltype) with 8GB DDR1866 and two Intel Series 520 240GB SSDs!
    My day job have nothing to do with either PCs or Macs but if I told you more I would have to silence you - for good... ;)

So for short, thats why I call my self a Mac Mod'er 8)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2012
  2. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

UPDATE

Received a package from CaseKing.de yesterday, the fans and adapters had ordered.
    Luckily they had changed the order as I asked them to, so now I have a molex to 3 fan power adapter, therefor I have eliminated the chance of burning off the fan outputs on the MB (initial plan was to run three fans of same fan header).
    Also had them throw in a bag of cable clamps, so I can route the cables nicely around the case without disturbing the already limited airflow.

I don't have more free time this weekend, so I count on ordering hardware maybe next week.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
  3. argonn

argonn What's a Dremel?

This is relevant to my interests.
    Looks good :) Can't wait for some hardware pics
    I'm planning on building a mITX HPTC/NAS soon.
    Subbed

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

UPDATE

The news, I have today ordered the first WD RE4-GP after I received an e-mail from a representative at WD the other day, confirming that I'm on right track:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Joel A.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We absolutely recommend that drive for your NAS at home.
    That model is the latest one we have in our raid edition drives, it will work perfectly in what you're trying to build.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
    Joel A
    Western Digital Service and Support"

I ended up ordering it from Dell Computers here in DK, apparently they have the cheapest price around here - but sad to say one of the longest delivery times, up to 4 weeks from now :(
    I have to contact them tomorrow to hear if that can really be true?!?

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Talked to Dell

Talked to Dell today about the situation with my WD RE4-GP harddrive.
    It seems it's in serious backorder at WD, so I should not expect it much sooner than around a month from now :(

Anyway, I got it for a really good price (£220) so I can wait :)

--------------

So now when I'm waiting for the HDD to arrive I am in no rush to continue. I have therefor looked around to see how I could step up my game and make this NAS even more Pro and even more reliable.
    I am seriously considering adding more HDDs, different MB and different OS.

Specifically I have this in mind:

Super Micro X7SPA-HF-D525
    Because if have onboard USB port, extremely good software support for almost any OS, takes my DDR3 RAM, have two GigaBit ports for maybe later use, PCI-E x4 for later use and have not less than 6 SATA ports on board! Wich eventually means I don't have to think about adding RAID controllers as I add more HDDs.

Talking about HDDs I have to say I looked into different file systems today. Heard the word unRAID a few times and decided to check it out. It's a really clever NAS OS wich I could definitely see myself using!

What it does is that it uses a special version of RAID4 were you have a very good deal of security at a very low price. Because of the very clever RAID4 unRAID uses if 1 disc eventually dies I can rebuild the whole RAID from the other discs!

:D

It makes the NAS a good deal more expensive than originally, but also a lot more Pro and reliable - wich in the end is my ultimate goal.

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I am also online in the unRAID forum.

Still, thanks for all the help I got choosing many of the components (in their own separate threads) :thumb:

In other news, the WD RE4-GP drive got cancelled from Dell because they have trouble getting them home :(

7. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

no offense mate, but there probably hasn't been much response because you haven't shown any actual physical work yet. I'm not trying to troll, just saying. I specifically came back to check your thread for updates this evening because I am designing a case for a similar purpose.

Regardless, GL with it man! :thumb:

8. Kavrocks

Kavrocks What's a Dremel?

Looks good Can't wait for some hardware pics
    I'm planning on building a mITX HPTC/NAS soon.

9. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Don't close it. Just make something already.:hehe:

But seriously, this section of the forums is for showing work done on a build. All you've shown us so far can be classed as planning, and so should have been done in the modding section. There is a sticky on the project log section that explains everything here

Specifically: 2. Your first post must contain pics of the actual mod in progress. If all you have is an idea, you don't have a log. If all you have is some conceptual sketches, you don't have a log. If all you have to show is a heap of parts, you don't have a log. This forum is purely for concrete work in progress - the other modding forums are more appropriate for concepts and thoughts.

You've had over a thousand views so people are interested. I think, like me, they are waiting for you to make something. :)

10. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

It would probably get more responses if it were in the correct forum (modding) as that's where most people look for advice and planning threads etc. I'm interested, just nothing really to comment on...

11. argonn

argonn What's a Dremel?

Please keep on posting. I'm watching every step :)

12. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Just updated the whole thread here, it's not dead yet ;)

I will soon post a bunch of pictures - I already have the SLC memory, RAM, Cache drive, PSU and most of the fans + the big mean chassis I have to show you!

It will be an awesome NAS!

Actually I need a little help were you might have an idea: I need some feets for the chassis so I don't scratch my floors when I move it around, what can you recommend?
    Even better if they are also rubberized and vibration dampened.

13. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Sorry... I will add pictures very soon, I promise!
    I have to show you the most awesome NAS case I have bought :D

14. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Picked up my first harddrive today, there was something wrong in their ordering system and it had mentioned it as an older drive (WD20EADS), I actually ended up getting the newest WD20EARX with lower power consumption, less heat but also a little bit slower than the older drives...

Didn't do a good deal here after all, could have bought this drive cheaper other places :( can't win every time...

EDIT: Decided to send it back for refund... Found a great offer on a Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3TB version of the drive I will use for data - so I go all Hitachi = High reliability :D
    Found it for only £137 in Germany incl shipping to Denmark! Cheapest in UK is something like £160, and here in DK they go for around £190.

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  15. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

:D Am really looking forward to receive everything and begin building!

Just checked with my three suppliers: The 2TB Hitachi data drive should arrive most likely already tomorrow, so should the MB / 80mm fans / card reader - but the 3TB parity Hitachi drive is not yet shipped and maybe it was not in stock after all and will not be shipped until monday next week
    Send them a mail to hear what status is.

16. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Before I close up for today and go to bed I better live up to a promise I made some time ago: Pictures!

[​IMG]

First package

[​IMG]

It's a Seasonic X400 fanless 400Watt power supply!

[​IMG]

Unboxing

[​IMG]

The beautiful box in all it's black and gold

[​IMG]

First look inside

[​IMG]

Fully modular :D

[​IMG]

Indeed my NAS will be Powered by Seasonic ;)

17. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

[​IMG]

Second package, this time from Germany

[​IMG]

I have fans! ...and a few other tidbits

[​IMG]

My two SLC SD cards for OS, one 4GB and got the other 4GB upgraded to a 8GB with a preinstalled Linux distro for the same price (am not going to use this Linux, but it was the last card they had)

[​IMG]

Apparently they are made by Toshiba, worlds biggest MLC maker :p

18. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

[​IMG]

Next package came from Netherlands, and I tell you it is HUGE! ...and heavy

[​IMG]

Compared to a regular sized soda can (if you can call my wife's Vanilla Cola soda?)

[​IMG]

Inside the big box there was a slightly smaller box...

[​IMG]

...and some styrofoam

19. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

[​IMG]

And finally, a Norco RPC-430 old model! :)

[​IMG]

Big & mean and really looks like it means business!

[​IMG]

HUGE...! and they even call it short-depth...

[​IMG]

Nice details like flush push rubber buttons that clicks firmly when pressed + dual NIC LEDs to show network activity on the front

[​IMG]

I really like the front pattern... Have a plan about doing a little mod here, more about that later

20. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

[​IMG]

Inside there is a good deal of space, and a good deal of work to do before I am done...

[​IMG]

Have to remove the two default fans and switch them out to some much better and seriously low noise Noise Blockers

[​IMG]

Unscrew all the unused MB stand offs

[​IMG]

Will do a little mod on the drive cage, more about it later...

[​IMG]

By the way, this case is build like a tank! There is SO many screws......

[​IMG]

Let's end with a question: Is this how the HDD mounts should be fitted?
    Will of course make more sense when I have a drive, but they should start arriving tomorrow so have to wait...

I am going to bed now, see ya all later :)

One last thing... The pictures are all taken with a phone, a thing made to call other people - so if you think the quality is a little sketchy thats why (if you as me think the quality is extremely good taken into consideration it's a phone camera, then thank you)