1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Looking to buy one of the Asus P5Q motherboards...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ab2c4, 4 Aug 2009.

1. ab2c4

ab2c4 What's a Dremel?

The problem is there are so many I am just not sure what board is for me. I am not a huge overclocker, the most important thing I look for is build quality and reliability. I will be running Windows 7 on it. So far I have looked at the P5Q, the Pro Turbo, the Deluxe, and the E model and I just don't know which one is the all around best.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The boards are all based on the same chipsets etc from what I can tell, so reliability and stability should be pretty much the same for all of them.

I think the easiest way is to choose a board which has all the necessary features that you think you might use. e.g. If you don't need all the features of the Deluxe, you could go for the next-highest specced one, whichever that is, with so many different versions it's hard to tell which is which... 17 versions of one chipset is just ridiculous.

3. ab2c4

ab2c4 What's a Dremel?

I have been reading reviews around the internet as well as on newegg (where I order my parts). It seems the standard P5Q and the P5Q Deluxe seem to be getting the best overall reviews. I like the layout of the P5Q Pro Turbo board but the reviews aren't as good and supposedly they use an older audio and LAN chipsets.

It's all very confusing. Like I was saying, I just want to most reliable board I can get and the price difference between all the P5Q boards is only like a $50 range so the money isn't a big deal, reliability is. I don't mind paying for a board with features I don't need as long it is rock solid.

4. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

My P5Q Pro is awesome, great clocker, stable, no problems at all, i would recommend.

5. ab2c4

ab2c4 What's a Dremel?

That would be, for the most part, the same as the P5Q Pro Turbo board, correct?

6. Digitalize-

I Assume so, dont think we have the 'Turbo' in the Uk.

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have a P5Q-E that I use for testing components and its a decent board (very cheap also) a very good overclocker and ultra reliable. A bargain P35 mobo.

8. ab2c4

ab2c4 What's a Dremel?

I ended up buying the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo and a Q9550 (I got them both for $328USD total, shipped and all which I think is pretty good, from Newegg). It should get the job done for now. Thanks for the responses\info\advice.

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The P5Q Pro has puny heatsinks compared to the better models (P5Q-E and P5Q Deluxe), so reliability might be affected if overclocking.

But I've been pretty happy with my P5Q Pro and I hope you will aswell. :thumb:

10. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

We do! Seen it on Scan.co.uk

From what i can tell, its basically just got a higher rated FSB...of 1800mhz

However, I have easily reached 1800mhz at stock voltage on the FSB of my P5Q Pro.

Infact I love the board so much I bought one for my dads PC.

Jim

11. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

Ive got the P5Q-E in my rig and it uses the P45 chipset......or at least i thought it did please kick me in the nuts if im wrong

12. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

They do a P5Q Turbo, but from what I could tell you just get some yellow anodised heatsinks instead of the copper jobbies you get on the pro.

I have no complaints with mine.

13. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Your right, the P5Q range is massive, and unfortunately you'll have to scrutinise every spec table to see the slight differences. They have different combos of Crossfire, eSATA, SATA, etc The more expensive ones also use better quality MOSFETS and capacitors, which help stabilise large OCs. As other have said, the Pro a good balance of features/performance and cost :thumb:

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

P5Q series is the P45 chipset, I would asuume its a typo.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Um EP43-UD3L?

I would buy that unless you don't like the color scheme.

16. Digitalize-

Well, my Pro is handling my OC perfectly, 4Ghz no problem, cant get above that though, could it be the mobo? (Not looking to upgrade :p just wondered)

17. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I've got a P5Q-SE. Not a brilliant overclocker, but does the job fine. Not packed with features, but does what I want and at a good price.

18. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I reccomend the P5Q-E. Handled my system very well, no problems at all, the heatsinks kept the temps nice as well.