1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards I need a second opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 7 Nov 2011.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Okay. I'm pretty sure this is a Motherboard fault, but humour me, I'd rather be sure:

I've got one Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 sat here, with an AMD FX-8120 and 16GB of Corsair XMS 3 sat in it. Hooked up to a Silverstone Strider 1000Watt Gold, Thermalright Archon sat on the Processor to keep things in check. My current GPU (Kfa2 550TI Ltd Oc White Edition) is there for video output.

Upon starting the system; I get no video output, although everything connected to the motherboard starts, all fans spool up and so on.

Then it all goes south. The board never, ever enters or completes POST. I've got a confirmed working speaker plugged into the board to be sure, but I've got nothing out of it. I've tried it without all of the above save power-supply too. I've not even got the three beeps error that's common with missing memory when I attempt to boot without it.

So do you lot agree, and believe it's a dud Mobo (And I should send it back to scan for RMA), Or could I have missed something?

Last edited: 8 Nov 2011
  2. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

If it won't even make a noise over the speaker that sound pretty dead to me. There's very few things that you could do to put a motherboard in that state.

One thing I would suggest (and I know, it's simple) make sure that you do have all the power cables on the motherboard, as if the motherboard isn't getting the power it needs it may not try to POST. Also try a known working PSU to eliminate that as an issue.

If that fails then I would seek an RMA.

3. .//TuNdRa

Tried it with my confirmed working Corsair Basic and the Silverstone Strider that I purchased alongside the board. Same result. I can confirm the strider wasn't the cause, as it's now currently running my machine.

RMA request was already taken out with Scan, but I figured it'd be a good idea to double-check, rather than footing the bill for an RMA that gets me nowhere.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2011
  4. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

You have tried to reset the CMOS first by taking out the battery on the mobo for 1 min then putting it back, haven't you? Worth trying if not.

You have nothing to lose...

Bede likes this.
  5. Dizzee

Dizzee What's a Dremel?

Do you get anything on the screen? Sounds like the mobo's gone

6. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Motherboard issue definitely, exactly the same symptoms as a problem I had - turned out to be a broken mobo. As DarrenH said, reset the CMOS and if that doesn't work then RMA. I am assuming/hoping you have run a barebones test, but even if you haven't it sounds very like a mobo problem.

7. .//TuNdRa

Stripped it down to everything but the motherboard and Power Supply. Tried resetting the CMOS too. Still dead. Looks like i'll have to get Scan to take it back and replace/repair it.

8. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Have you tried putting your old cpu back to see if it posts?

9. .//TuNdRa

Yup. Still dead. I was 90% sure it was the board to begin with, but I figured it best to check with the ever helpful people here. I might've missed something.