1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant James May's Man Lab

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 4 Apr 2013.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I quite like some the projects they do such as the pizza oven from last week and that, and I like how 'non fake' it is. What I mean is when things haven't worked they don't work! They don't cheat. I was looking forward to see the rocket triggered lightning this episode and the melted sand thing with it but they didn't manage it and I was a bit disappointed!

2. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Looked like James and everyone else on the crew was disappointed to :/

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I work in lightning protection so I was really looking forward to it as well. However, lightning is notoriously difficult to predict even with all the fancy kit they were using. Looking at the setup they were using I am not sure that they would have gotten a decent fulgurite out of that sand had a strike come down the line. The sand was contained in a metal drum from what I could tell, the arc would have most likely flashed from the line to the top edge of the container and then down to earth. Also how well was the bottom of the container earthed?

It's all well and good to gauge the charge build up in the clouds above but a discharge also requires a build up of an opposite charge in the ground (whether that be positive or negative).

The odds were always going to be heavily stacked against them pulling this off but it would have been an awesome sight if they had managed it.

The way I would go about it would be to use a tall static installation placed in an area of the country that has a high strike density, somewhere around Northamptonshire or north Derbyshire as both of those areas have a strike density of about 1 strike per km² per year, the areas they were using are about half that. Fit the mast or down-conductor with a strike counter and leave it to be struck, it may take some time (and it may not happen at all) but weekly or monthly checks especially during times of favourable conditions should show something.

4. Boscoe

Yeh I agree with that I also found it odd they put the wire on the rocket and not let the rocket pull the wire off the ground. It also looked very thin and I had a feeling it was breaking before it got to the cloud.

5. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I watched it last night and came to the conclusion that the cats with cams was a bit set up to be honest. But it is an enjoyable program and beats most of the crap we get fed.

I'm kind of jelous of Mr May in a way. He has a great life and has played with some great toys. His trip to the edge of space was pretty special, I hope he realises how blessed he is.

6. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

What channel and time is this on? I'm disappointed to say, I have never watched nor heard of this! :)

7. Boscoe

Yes I forgot about that it was a bit staged!

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I really do like James May and the programs he has presented. The one where he almost went into space is absolutely my favourite.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I love Man Lab. It is a glorious celebration of manliness!

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah, gotta say I like manly program's like this :thumb:
    Much to the wife's annoyance :D

11. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I have been watching them on BBC iPlayer, not sure when it's broadcast, so hop on there to catch up :)

Last edited: 7 Apr 2013
  12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

The cats with cams bit was awful in my opinion. Who would strap a go pro round a cats neck, seriously? Its like using a giant vhs camcorder by today's standards. There are much smaller HD camera gear that can record to SD card In HD (1080p) and can transmit simultaneously, just look at fpv gear for multi rotors and fixed wing craft. The horyzonHD would have been a much better option.

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

BBC2 on Thursdays at 8pm.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh there's another season coming? YAY! Sunday rescued.