1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Audio jack problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oddball walking, 28 Sep 2011.

1. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I've have a problem with my new computer shutting itself down when i pull out a audio jack. All i do is unplug my normal earphones from the side of the box and it closes everything and shuts down.
    This has happened 4 or 5 times since i got it 4 weeks back.

Its an Acer Aspire Z Series - 23 all in one running win7 (my first time using 7) and its the secondary ports at the side I'm using. link to pic

I have not found anything on google about this can anyone help?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

When you say "shuts down" do you mean as if you'd unplugged it, or as if you'd pressed the power button?

3. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

As if I had shut it down normally. It goes to the normal green shutting down screen.

4. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

That is a very bizarre problem. I know you said it's been happening since you got it but does it happen every time you pull out your headphones or just some of the time? What do you guys think? I'd be curious if the internal ports are wired incorrectly somehow or are interfering with one another though I've never seen a problem like this. It would almost be less odd if the computer shut down immediately rather than normally shut down.

If it's something that happens every time you unplug your headphones then you might try changing what "pressing the power button does" in Windows. See if you change the power button functionality to "ask me what to do" if it asks you to shut down/restart when you unplug headphones or if it still automatically shuts down.

Any chance you can exchange for a new machine at this point or are you going to have to fix it?

5. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

If you unplug the headphones when it is off does it start up?

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I thought I'd seen most thing that can go wrong with a PC, but this ones totally new to me.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Sounds like a short to me.
    And since it's an all in one that probably mean an RMA.

8. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I would agree but the machine is going through the whole shutdown process rather than losing power all at once. Very bizarre. I like the question about whether you can turn the PC on with your headphones lol

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Does the headphones work as it should?

I have come across problems where a shutdown occurs when a USB device is removed but never for an audio device. I doubt it is a short because that would turn off your computer in an instant as if turning off the mains.

Go into your system logs, what initiates the shutdown?

10. Deders

Deders Modder

It could still be a short, if the headphone socket is somehow connected to the power on/off circuit, they might both be earthed to the same place so only one loose connection could do it.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This.
    When you press the power button on most machines, depending on how windows itself is set, it will initiate a proper shutdown not kill the power.
    It sounds to me like the audio connection is somehow triggering this button press.

EDIT:

Thinking about it you could actually test this theory.

If you go to "Change what the power buttons do" in windows (it's in power options in the control panel, but just type "power buttons" into the start menu search box and select it).
    Change the power button setting to something else, and see if it changes what the system does when you pull it out.

If it is the problem, then setting it to "do nothing" may even work as a temporary fix.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2011
  12. Deders

Deders Modder

It is also possible that the software switch from windows is somehow on a different circuit from the hard wired switch, so while the test could confirm if this is the problem, it doesn't rule it out if it doesn't have that effect.