1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I HATE folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Fisher., 1 Jun 2009.

1. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

At least, that's what my wallet keeps telling me...

[​IMG]

These showed up on Thursday before a 3 day weekend and I need to reroute my w/c loop to accommodate all three cards, so I haven't had a chance to get them in and running yet. I should be getting what I need to move the loop today, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new power supply. Is a TT 850 watt enough for these?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

As long as it's got 6x 6pin pci-e sockets you should be fine.
    I've had 4x 8800GT's running off 600w PSU's before

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

WANT. NOW. :D

/Jealous

4. patchcable

patchcable Preparing to commence simulation

Very nice! Have fun with them. I really need to upgrade mine but cant be bothered to reorganise the loop.

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I'm sure all the opening and closing will keep your wallet lean and fit.

6. Fisher.

That was my reason for steering away from multiple cards for quite a while, but I guess the bug has bitten just a little too hard.

Running into problems, though. My power supply isn't quite up to the task of handling all three cards, so I'll be ordering a new one shortly. :sigh:

Looking at this one but I haven't heard one way or the other on their quality. Anyone deal with these power supplies before? I've certainly heard of the company, but I haven't heard much about the reliability of their products, either good or bad.

7. Viper355

Viper355 What's a Dremel?

according to cpc that should be avoided at all costs. i think it was in issue 69.

Fisher. likes this.
  8. Fisher.

+rep for the 5 minute answer. You just saved me $200, sir.

Time to search some more...

*edit* Lol'd at the new message when you add rep. "May the relix be with you"

9. Fisher.

After some deliberation (and a quick look through the PSU reviews on BT :duh:) I've come up with two contenders. This or this should suit my needs fairly well. As the 1kW is still $30 or so cheaper than the 850W, I think my decision is fairly easy.

Unless cpc has something to say about it...

10. Unicorn

CPC hold the FSP Everest Pro 1200 series in pretty high regard. Did you consider one of those?

Of the two contenders that you have posted, I could vouch for the Corsair only. I don't believe I have ever used an Enermax PSU but I have heard good things like yourself.

11. Fisher.

I did, but it's another $80-ish more than the Corsair and the site I want to get it from (getting a few odds and ends from them) does not stock FSP products. I can certainly live with the Corsair though, unless I see an expletive ridden, arm waving rant about them from someone I hold in high regard (see: Most BT/CPC-ers);)

12. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Use two of the Corsairs and they haven't given any trouble. Sounds like it's going to be a really nice set-up Fisher.

13. Fisher.

Good to hear. Sounds like I'll have to pull the trigger on that one fairly shortly, then. Now what to do with that 850...

I'm hoping it will be, have you seen what it's going into? This will be fairly epic for me, seeing as how I've always been a single card sort of guy. I may need a little help getting F@H running on all three cards, if you guys don't mind :duh:

If I've been picking this up correctly, you're treating each card (or GPU, with GX2's and 295's) separately and running an instance of F@H on each one individually, right?

I feel like I'm making my way to the deep end of the pool where all the big kids hang out :lol:

14. Unicorn

Yeah you treat each card seperately, no SLI, no cables linking the cards at all. You have to enable the secondary display for the cards to fold properly and then run two instances of F@H on each card. Your PPD from that single rig will probably be more than my total from 3 rigs at the moment :rolleyes:

15. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I use one Corsair @650W and one @ 1000W, the 650 has been running for over 2 years and the 1000 for about 6 months, so far no problems with either, only PSU I have had problems with was a Tagan, but the replacement has run for nearly 3 years.

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Something has just occurred to me. Didn't you already have a GTX285 Fisher? I'm assuming you're just planning to run with 3 total but if you're adding this to the three pictured then the 6 x PCI-E connectors on the Corsair PSU won't cut it.

You don't want to hang with the big kids but rather the cool kids. In my own completely objective and unbiased opinion all the cool kids are folding for CPChimps right now :D So if you're still Chimping you're already with us :thumb:

17. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I've had the Corsair 1000W since last summer and am very happy with it. Bought the Enermax 1250 a few months ago, and am very happy with it also. So - you pays your money and takes your choice - as they say.

PS The trouble with folding is that something requiring more power will turn up next week/month/by the end of the year. Thats why I bought the 1250 rather than the 1000W. :D

18. Fisher.

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that :blush:

The box on the left (the one that says "Superclocked" instead of "Superclocked Edition") is from the card currently in my rig, but all three are destined for the same place, so I thought it made sense to put them all in the pic. That, and it just looks so darn cool.

I was thinking of springing this one on the forums as a surprise, but now that I've ran the numbers it's too awesome to keep a secret:

I can build another folding rig with 3 9800GT's for another $300. Since I'm getting a new PSU, I'll have the 850W free to power a Striker II Formula board that I have boxed up after getting the Extreme (DDR3, bought the NB/SB waterblock without looking to see if they were interchangeable, etc.) and I should be getting a 3.06GHz Celeron off of zachjowi for $25, so the only thing I'll be buying are the cards.

I will admit to weakness a few weeks ago as I did change my GPU back for a little while, but my 12 CPU's have been happily Chimping away since the get-go!