1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US parents blame games for violence as much as guns

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Parents with 10 guns in the house searching for an excuse to oppose gun control....blame anything and everything except their own perverse interpretation of the constitution.

What a bunch of tits.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its easier to blame something than blame yourself it seems...

I understand the whole 'right to bear arms' thing is constitutional, but seriously... who goes deer hunting with an AR-15?

I mean... really?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I shot an AR15 recently. It was totally awesome.

Also, I bet the above parents are the ones who buy the guns, and then buy the children the violent video games.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Really?

Of course it's easier to blame someone/something else rather than take responsibility fr your own parenting skills. But then people also whinge about the nanny state. Can't win.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Don't get me wrong, I love going shooting... one of my favorite past-times... But i was brought up to use guns properly, and to go my murderous rampages in GTA, not school..

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That's because US parents are morons. Just sayin'...

They can generalise the games industry, so I imagine my statement being a generalisation is also OK?

8. ksyruz

ksyruz What's a Dremel?

This is really funny, I am currently writing a paper for school and the information that I have gathered is that people are calmer and less less likely to go out and kill people. This is due to stress release like that to working out or punching at the gym.

Furthermore, users of these games are not knowledgeable to how to use a gun. This is due as most aspects of the gun is blocked by the figures they play with. Thus most who do use guests have learn to use it through another person.

Generally when mass murders go out they use illegal guns, from the black market.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

The title of the article is a bit misleading especially since inside it clarifies the survey was about "violent media including video games".

I understand that it's a fairly big issue at the moment (although it's been in the news quite a few years now) but that's not necessarily a reason to focus on one aspect of the survey and state it as the main focus.

10. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

the "right to bear arms" was written when the only arms was an Assassins creed three weapon where one shot could only be taken every 30min since the reloading was a pain! even in the damn game i dont think peeple even really used the guns.

in todays time, the amendment did not have semi automatics in mind im sure.. or bazooka's!

11. crushednutts

crushednutts What's a Dremel?

So 1,050 parents is 77% of the USA, and 99% of those are probably gun owners looking to of load the blame.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I forget where I heard it, but "This is every bodies fault but mine" springs to mind.

Violence is in the media (Read: News, TV shows, magazines, etcetera) because it sells well. People generally seem to like the idea of being scared stupid by the horrific things that happen in the world, and the news programmes (Or channels, depending on what TV package you have access to) get viewers by showing it. Some "news" programmes should be called "What to be scared of today" rather than news, from what I've seen.

Guns are dangerous, yes. Unlimited access to violent programmes, games, books, etcetera is equally dangerous. Irresponsible parents allowing their offspring access to all of the above because it makes their lives easier are the worst.

Games can be a good influence (See the Americas Army and the people gaining basic first aid understanding through it - It crops up in the news when it happens), and they can equally be a bad influence. A kid with unlimited access to a free-roaming sandbox game with few, if any, limitations on their actions and parents that don't teach the kid a solid moral framework about what is and is not acceptable behaviour is clearly a bad, and dangerous, influence.

I had unlimited access to games such as the GTA series, but I had a good moral framework, so I've not turned out to be a violent sociopath. Can't say the same for other people in my year at school, though.

13. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

You can always find supposed triggers for violent behavior and some will act on them if they are so inclined.

So the caveman thought "Man those violent cave paintings have triggered my psychopathic tendentcies, I need to go club a few of the neighbours to death"

14. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Better the PR corporations that control the media outlets use Video Games as a scapegoat to blame for excessive violence in society rather than point the finger at themselves for the serious pyschological damage they inflict on the populace that stems from there 24 hour brainwashing by commercial interests.

Video games violence = bad

Celebrating the deaths of millions of poor, foreign ethnics = good?!!

LOL

Righty ho then.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Seventy seven percent of US parents believe violent media including video games are equally to blame for real-world violence as guns

I'd like to see what the actual question was. Did it specifically highlight games against TV/movies/books/comics etc? Or is games put in the same barrel as everything else. If they're all in the same category then I agree. ALL media influences kids. I kicked my mate in the face at school because I watched power rangers and wanted to do what they did. Granted I was a lot younger but no doubt this **** is powerfully influential.

The games industry shouldn't be blamed entirely, neither should the NRA, neither should parents. We ALL need to step up our game to reduce crime.

16. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

"...according to parent watchdog organisation Common Sense Media."

I just love the name of that organisation in this context.

17. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

I bet at least 90% of the 77% where filling this out with their 8-15 year old playing Black Ops 2 that they bought them for Christmas.

It is up to the parents to control what media their children are exposed to and to give them the moral ground to know right from wrong. It is something that challenges parents on a daily basis and has to be constantly reinforced every minute of the day. They need to understand early on what is fantasy and what is reality. Of course they will be exposed as it is impossible to stop. This is where the framework and understanding of reality and fantasy come in. Even I'd seen Friday the 13th and Halloween before I was 10 (showing my age here).

You will not stop violence in the media. It sells far to well so it is never going to stop. Agree with the point about the new. It is all sensationalism.

The parents can only do what they can and not give in. That is where control is lost and their childrens respect for anything disappears. Thats where it all goes wrong. If you do not fear punishment there there is nothing to stop you.

Just in case you wonder I have 4 children 7,5,3 and 1.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

These 77% of parents should get their heads out of their asses.

Violent movies and games have been around for decades, so they should ask themselves, why they themselve didn't run amok.

There's only one to blame for the kids running amok... the parents themselve and the society they live in.

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Food for thought...

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Halfwits. I mean, there are so many intelligent people in the USA, but their voices of reason are too often drowned out by the hick mentality of the masses.

Inb4 our American cousins wake up and have their say ;)

Tags: Add Tags