1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hard disk checking software (and fix)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ljs, 17 May 2014.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

What is the best software to check a hard disk with? I think mine is playing up... :sigh:

Getting random freezes and programs crashing which I haven't had before on this system. Temperatures and everything else appears all fine.

Something which has the utility to be able to fix a problem if found would be good too.

Thanks!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you're using Windows then CHKDSK /f

If Windows can't dismount the disk it'll ask if you want to schedule a disk check on the next boot.

3. Strudul

Strudul ~

HDAT2

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

To check a disk i would do as Big Elf suggests first, or as a quick(ish) check.
    If it found problems, or if i wanted a more thorough check i would use the manufactures disk checking utility.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I found the disk checker in Ubuntu to be great when I had problems with one of my disks.

HDTune in windows wouldn't pick anything up, SMART didn't seem to be picking anything up in windows either, but the drive would keep freezing and clicking.

Booted into Ubuntu, got the disk checker up, and hey presto, straight away it told me there were a number of bad sectors, and pending sectors. Unfortunately though, it still couldn't fix it, so the drive was scrap.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ahh, still CHKDSK? I just wondered if there was so new fandangled tool that I wasn't aware about.

Results came back fine but I'm embarrased to admit that i hadn't fired up Malware Bytes and Adwcleaner for a while and it seems I had somehow picked up a few PUPs. Sneaky *******s.

Working like a dream again so I must have at least had one on their for a while as it feels like a fresh install. Happy days.

Cheers for the help once again! <3