1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Thoughts on the GTA series?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fdbh96, 17 May 2012.

1. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Looking at the steam bundle for the GTA series and I was wondering what people thought of the games, as I've never seen anyone talk about them on PC.

Which one do you recommend starting on as I've never played any before.

Here is the offer:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Thanks

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I personally like GTA 1, 2 (top down view) and 4 (third person view).

GTA3 to GTA San Andreas I thought where overrated.

None of the games share a story so it doesn't matter which game you start with. May as well start with GTA 4.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

They are definitely better on PC, as there are many mods that vastly improve some of the games. I love the first person mod for example. 4 and episodes are the most polished and enjoyable by modern standards of course, but I also quite liked Vice City, the other ones not so much. Prior to 3 are too oldshool for my taste and I absolutely hated San Andreas.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

GTA4 is one of the best games I've ever played. The entire series is steller!

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I really enjoyed all the gta series from 3 forwards.

San andreas being one of my favs due to the large amount of air vehicles you could use.

GTA 4 got on my nerves in the end due to the crappy save system, had to reinstall windows several times for various reasons and followed the convoluted precedure for reinstating my saves which worked the 1st two times and the the 3rd time refused to play ball. I was halfway through the game and really couldn't be arsed to start again.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't say I had any bother with the save system, mind you my memory is shocking so I may have done. :)

Loved GTA IV, loved it.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It was only because I had to format and reinstall windows and then reinstall GTA and the saves several times, the last time being an SSD upgrade.

8. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

Great games. GTA IV was brilliant. Most of my friends hated it because there was a lot more emphasis on story than previous versions and it was a little less 'wacky'. The cover system was a welcome introduction and the soundtrack went so well with the setting of the Russian/Eastern European ghetto of NY. Liberty City feels like a real city. Damn, I feel like playing it again. Also, it looks the dog's b******s on PC.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Go straight to 4 .

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Wait until the Steam Summer Sales kick in, it should be only about a month or two away.
    You'll find the entire GTA series on offer for something like £8 or the entire Rockstar collection for around £25-30.

I'd definitely recommend starting from the beginning and playing through them all, they all have something special that makes them great and while GTA IV is vastly superior (for me at least) you'll enjoy it much more when you experience them all in sequence and get to feel the progress in the series' development.

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Its currently at £20 for the GTA collection but my parents say no games until exams are finished :(. Looks like I'll have to wait for the summer sale.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well then, you can't get it then.

If you're parents are telling you what you can get you can't be 18 so you ain't old enough to be playing it.

14. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Fail - Am glad I never was refused to play games of any age when I was younger.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Im allowed 18s but Im not allowed any new games when exams are on, but they finish in a weeks time :D.

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd say Start with SA, it's easy enough, and I found it a fun game, then move on to GTA4, Why? SA lets you be the crazy badass that can singlehandedly take down a squad of police, while GTA4 forces you to play more carefully. It's a good game, but my playstyle of "Headless chicken with a high powered assualt rifle" doesn't work well in that environment.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

San Andreas was hilarious fun. Trucks, Trains, Planes, Helicopters....... Jet Pack. Tbh, it's worth playing them all, and GTA 2 is also hilarious.

Sam

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Actually yeah, Derailing a train into someone was both dramatic and satisfying.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

4 was brilliant as a game, was just ruined by the god awful DRM system

20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think they are all good in their own right. 1 and 2 are worth playing to understand the roots of the game, but it's hard to get into them now personally.

Vice City was the best of the GTA3 generation games IMO, SA was good but it was too big really.

GTA4 is quite different in style as said above, but it does house one of the best storylines I've ever experienced in a game, and that's the "The Ballad of Gay Tony" addon - simply fantastic and Rockstar humour at it's very very best.