1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Driving Ban - Expected Punishment?

Discussion in 'General' started by Modsbywoz, 22 Apr 2013.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Sisters husband has 6 points already on his license and was caught a few weeks ago doing 86mph in a 50 zone.

My quesion is. What would his expected punishment be? With the ticket he will get an additional 6 points which means ban by total points and he will be banned for doing +30mph over the speed limit.

Will the ban be compounded? I expect the worst case scenario as he has been banned before.

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

If he's been banned before it will be bigger, it really should be bigger. I'd be looking at 3 to maybe even 5 years, plus big fine, and possible community service (Worst case).

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

How was he caught? Was he stopped and issued a ticket from the fuzz or just flashed or caught on camera?

If the flash or Camera option the first legal recourse is not to acknowledge the notice. You should not be forced to admit anything. If you have already then you can plead your case in court. You can question the method used to capture the alledged speed. Was it via a mobile camera or hand held. It is possible to dispute the speed recorded and therefore reduce the seriousness of the offence. An 85 believe it or not is only a 5 point penalty and fine.

I'll dig out what I found when flashed a few years ago. In the meantime, don't be scared into admitting anything just on their carefully forced into admission paperwork.

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm not trying to get him off. Thanks for the offer though. Personally i think he should have his car crushed. Just needed a little info on what he should expect.

Bogomip and DragunovHUN like this.
  5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Glad you see sense. People doing that sort of speed in a 50 zone are usually trying to escape from a pursuing police car!

Never being allowed to drive again would be an ample punishment.

EDIT: This might be of some use.

Code:
    Speed Limit	Fixed Penalty	Court Summons
    20 Mph          25 Mph          35 Mph
    30 Mph          35 Mph          50 Mph
    40 Mph          46 Mph          66 Mph
    50 Mph          57 Mph          76 Mph
    60 Mph          68 Mph          86 Mph
    70 Mph          79 Mph          96 Mph

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
  6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I know what you mean. 50 zones are usually that because of some kind of hazzard.

I drove back from Dover over the weekend and I was shifting it more than I usually do, but there were still people shooting past me at +20mph. Its crazy.

Especially if he's had ban's before. Is he a truck/delivery driver of some type or just a speed junky?

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Just a question (More out of wonderment). Was his first license lost due to excessive speeding?

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Sounds like an Audi driver.

9. Lance

Yup. But for the previous ban I'd guess a BMW. As clarkson said the knobs have crossed between the brands.

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

+1 for not taking his side. I know from personal experience (crashed my car whilst speeding, banned for 3 years) that you won't change if you don't get the weight of the law on your head. It's impacted me massively and not to mention I felt like a shameful **** for at least a year after and that's all the encouragement I need not to drive like a muppet again.

(that and the 2 grand fine + cost of re-taking license) :blah:

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I agree totally - thinking about the 50 zones round here you'd be insane to do much more than that...

There's also a difference between the M20 (which is a wide, smooth motorway) and the country lanes that have been reduced to 50...

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

summons above 76 in a 50 , 10mph above summons limit , guidance will be at least a 56 day ban , unless prior (which he has) so will likely be a 1 year ban. unless they want to be an ass and give 6 points - so a ban under totting up ; which his insurance goes horrible next year under a TT99 (heaviest weighting , above DR10)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're rare, but I can think of a couple of 50 stretches where 80+ wouldn't be out of order when quiet.

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As long as you're prepared to do the time if you get caught ;)

15. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Wow Spot On. His last ban would have been from speeding too. He's just speed junkie.

16. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

There are some dual carriageways/motorways which have 50 limits when they don't look like they should be any different to unrestricted parts where it might be vaguely understandable but with that sort of history (and not changing behaviour after being banned before) sounds like he shouldn't be on the road.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

knew it :hehe:

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.vehicles-duty-of-care.com/code.html

TT99 is at least a 135% loading on your renewal , and many companies will refuse insurance due to the risk (I know from experience)

why? DR10 is drink driving - they know what you were banned for - whereas totting up is what? 4 bald tyres? or speeding? or careless driving? its an unknown so a higher risk.

I ended up with a mountain of points - 2 count s of no insurance (IN10) *6 points x 2 , 1 of speeding (SP30) *3 points
    1 of driving without due care (CD10)*9 points , failing to stop after an accident (AC10)*9 points , failing to give details (AC20) *9points

for a total of 42 points - the court skipped first offence and went straight to a 1 year ban and a set of steak knives.....

took 4 more years for the points to come off for my insurance to drop to a sensible level.

that was 15 years ago.

19. Lance

Yeah but those stretches don't tend to be so monitored, like the back country lanes at night where you can see a headlight from 400 meters away.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its all about driving to the conditions of the road, often then not speed limits are logical indications of what the conditions are.

except for those old whiny ****ers who complain about the noise and impose a 30 with 4 speed cams (yes ive driven down such a road before), they deserve a gear down.