1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Snowboard gear?

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 8 Nov 2015.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

So I'm going snowboarding in Bulgaria in feb, never been before and I'm looking for some recommendations for what cheapish clothes I need/buy.

So far I figure,

Ski jacket (don't mind spending a bit more on this as I can use it as a winter coat also)
    Trousers
    Gloves
    Goggles

Cheers all. :thumb:

2. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Register on Sport Pursuit, they have some really good deals on ski/ boarding kit. Also if you live near to a TK Maxx they can have some good kit in stock. Mate picked up a really nice pair of Smith goggles from there massively discounted before we went to Norway this year. Check out Sports Direct online as well. I got a Helly Hansen Jacket half price and ski pants 80% off in the middle of the season,

I love Smith Optics. For goggles I wear Smith IOX with a Smith Maze helmet. Perfect matchup with no gap between the rims and awesome field of vision.

As mentioned though get on Sport Pursuit as a lot of their clothing is top quality (Marmot etc) and superbly discounted.

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cheers dude, been looking through Sport Pursuit, is Hyra considered a good brand?

4. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I will be honest and say I don't know. However I didn't know much about Haglof, Arcteryx and Marmot until a few years ago and they are all great top class brands. Scroll all the way down the page and there are separate sections for goggles/helmets and jackets. At least it will give you ideas to do some further research on. I saw some really nice Arcteryx and Marmot jackets for sale.

Should have mentioned as well though mate, I'm a skier rather than a border and at a lanky 6'6" prefer my kit to be slim fit rather than the more relaxed kit you might be after.

Have a good look around and don't rush as there are really good deals to be found on ski/ boarding kit. In terms of goggles and a lid I would try and find somewhere to physically try a set on before taking the plunge due to different face/ head shape combos.

Also don't forget with boarding it might be worth (is worth) looking at wrist guards and some back/ backside protection as you will spend a long time sliding down the slope on your rear.

Amazon is also well worth a look

Last edited: 9 Nov 2015
    Archtronics likes this.
  5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cheers again, yeah I'm spending a bit of time looking around for some deals.

I already have wrist and elbow guards for my mountain biking so hopefully they should cross over nicely.

+rep

6. heh-

heh- curses.

Wrist guards are essential when learning, it's far too easy to put your hands out when falling. In some places helmets are mandatory if you're taking official lessons, but you may be able to hire one.

7. CyCoLeS

CyCoLeS If it ain't broke...give it to me

get yourself in to a shop and try stuff on to find what size you need, remember that you'll have another couple of layers underneath your jacket and pants so a bit baggy in the shop is ok.Most of the retailers will have a clearance section now for previous seasons clothing as 2016 stock will now be in. Seeing as its your first time i'd go onto ebay for previous seasons gear, used or new, to keep your costs low. you should be able to hire goggles/helmet at the time you hire the board/boots.

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

If you have never been before, you NEED a bum pad.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I have Downhill mountain bike padded shorts which I was planning on using should be hopefully sufficient.

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I've decided to spend a little extra on a jacket than initially planned. The idea is it will last me longer and I can use it for work (this week I'm hopping around the side of Snowdon for example)

One has more insulation but is £50 more, where as the other will require some layering I guess. I suppose it all depends if it ends up costing more if I buy the layering for the other one.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/597025
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/597164