1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 80GB PS3 has 'limited backwards compatibility'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

link to forum does not work.

Anyway, this has basicly already been covered. The european ps3's had the chip removed to go with the software they originally were going to use what wasnt ready for USA launch. So it was ready and we get the PS3 with software only and not the chip. It would then be asumed that the chip would be fazed out of the USA PS3's which looks like they are with the 80Gb models.

To me this is not news and is just part of what they have already been doing.

Dont you mean "what it hasnt been quick to announce to Playstation haters that want to slate Sony is...."

Why is everyone that wants a Playstation called a Fanboy, Stop using the word fanboy and use the word consumer.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2007
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the problem is that one of the things that Sony feeds the customer is that all of its consoles are always backwards compatible, most of my friends think that the ps3 will play every PS and PS2 game and call me a fool when i try to explain them the truth.
    and i loled at the scooter racing picture. :D

edit: link in the article not working!
    edit: werking now

Last edited: 10 Jul 2007
  4. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Anybody want to find the actual facts on this? Before overblowing the term "limited backwards compatibility," shouldn't we look up what percentage of older games that are backwards compatible in the current European version? According to a quick internet search, even the hardware emulation was "only" advertised as 98% backwards compatibility...so you could never expect *every* old game to work.

IIRC, the EU PS3 is MUCH more backwards compatible than the 360 is, and both are using software to do it. And, with firmware updates, the software emulation has the potential to get better.

A quick look at this website may be of interest: http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

-- all the titles they list there are PS1 and PS2 games that should play on the PS3 -- most with "no issues," some with "minor issues," and some are "playable, but with noticeable issues"

can anybody tell if that site lists EVERY old game...or if they're just listing the ones that work? If they are listing every game, it looks pretty decent to me.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It lists almost all, but surprisingly (for me) FF7 doesn't work 100%

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sortware emulation backwards compatibility is absolute crap, as both consoles have shown. Yes, you can update it, but my experience of the 360's emulation is just to not bother, if you have an Xbox, play it on that, and MS have had a dedicated team working on it for a very long time, so I'd hate to think what the PS3's is like.

IMO, if you're not gonna bother with hardware backwards compatibility, just don't bother at all.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if you are gonna bother with backwards compatibility then buy the old console on ebay or somewhere else..... and most of the time it works better.

and don't say like "why 10 devices under your TV if you can have 1" because i will say to you "if you have only 1 device that does all of the work, what will happen when that device stops working?".

8. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

You said "both consoles" there, but only have evidence from the 360. Who's to say Sony doesn't have a dedicated team working on software backwards compatibility? And who's to say that Microsoft's team is doing much of anything? There are still new PS2 games coming out...when was the last time a regular XBox game came out? I think Sony has a bigger motivation to support backwards compatibility than does Microsoft -- and I think this is evidenced by the fact that Sony initially put the hardware for BC in there in the first place...and they're phasing out the hardware now, perhaps indicating they've got a good handle on Software BC.

I don't know either way...but it seems like all the bashing about this around the web is mainly based on the 360's poor performance at Software BC. But the companies and the consoles involved are completely different animals... Anybody here have experience with the Software BC of the PS3? Anybody find a site that lists the percentage of PS1/2 titles that work on the PS3 with Software BC? Anybody have a *real* good comparison of BC between the 360 and PS3?

That site I listed earlier seems to indicate many many games work just fine under Software BC on the PS3, and more work but with a few issues.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think it is stupid to buy a current gen console to play last gen games....... but thats me.

10. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I don't agree.

With the relability of some consoles like the 360 people are going to be left with a pile of games with nothing to play them on in the future. I still play my snes from time to time. If the snes was as reliable as the 360 and the PS2 then mine would have been dead long ago. Thats why I think BC is important.

11. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

NES anyone?? Or even the good old non colour GB is more sturdy than any console on the market.. That said, ill never buy another console unless i really have to.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I love BC if its possible, I can live without it if it isn't. Being able to play original burnout on a 360 is just a great reason to sell the original xbox and get some games cash.

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Joe, you hit it on the head, with me atleast. BC is something I love, but I can live without it if it's really THAT big of a deal. Of course with the PS3 BC isn't really that big of an issue with atleast 80% of all PS1/PS2 games working in software emulation, so honestly I would almost come to expect it, but again it's not THAT big of a deal. I do like the idea of being able to sell my old consoles for some cash to help ease the financial hit of buying a new expensive console.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

For once, we agree DevDevil. :D

15. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Don't expect too many of these though! hehe jk I liked your statement about how PC's are better than consoles. Another thing we both agree on.

Tags: Add Tags