1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon R9 290 boards hit by last-minute delay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"Press who have already tested the card under the old drivers and planned to publish their reviews today are, naturally, now likely to release updated reviews using the new drivers on the 5th of November instead - although, as said press are held under NDA, nobody will be saying that out-loud just yet."

Although, of course, you kinda just have. lol

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised this card would encounter driver issues at all. Isn't it basically just a slightly weaker version of the 290X?

Due to temperature moderation, it wouldn't surprise me if the 290X actually down-clocks itself to the about same speed as the 290, so unless you have a reliable cooling system, I'm sure the 290 would be the better value.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is probably to try and throttle the card back a bit to improve temps after the reaction they got from the 290X. Would be really interesting to see benchmarks comparing the 2 drivers to see what's been tweaked.

5. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Well the problem I see is that newegg has no stock of the 290X. Are there any places that have stock? I will say that It's nice to see the Nvidia price drop happen, those cards are still in stock at least. I'll still probably wait for the next gen though.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

ebay has a few in stock, though the only ones that aren't ridiculously priced are bids.