1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches AppZone with Android emulation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

GO AMD !!!

3. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

I'm gonna take some credit for telling AMD staff that they needed to have their own ecosystem with which to easily give their userbase access to software that makes best use of their integrated graphics.

This could've has the double advantage of giving a real reason to get an AMD Win8 tablet over an Intel or Arm/RT one, if you can access almost the entire Android ecosystem even while Win8 software is catching up. This of course assumes that these apps are easily accessable from Metro, so that users don't have to jump through multiple hoops to reach their banking app, but they needed some sort of game changer on the software side to compete in the tablet sector.

Well, looking forward to seeing if AMD can capitalize here.

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If this works as well as it does in my head, it'll be awesome. I'll be able to get my android apps on my notebook.

5. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

This is quite possibly the best thing in the world - Ever.

While I love my PC Gaming, I am a massive fan of Game Dev and Grand Prix Story. Playing them on my ageing phone eats the battery and have had to turn off the *ahem* "good" graphics or they just chug,

Now I can play them on my desktop and laptop. In fact I read this then proceeded to download and played Game Dev Story until 1am! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! GO AMD!

6. rollo

rollo Modder

How do apps that are designed for a touchscreen work on a computer with a mouse, Most of the driving games on both are designed around you moving the actual device to control the steering ect.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Not a whole lot of apps I would use but I can think of a few games off the top of my head that would be great, like Anomaly Warzone.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

By reading the comments here most people seem excited by the ability to play their 'phone' games on their Pc... Isn't that what PC games are for? Why would you play a crappy 'phone' racing game when you have F1 2012?

9. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Once there is a fun, interesting and fairly deep racing management game on the PC then would totally be there. Same with if there was a game about running a computer game dev company... Neither such things exist (and believe me I have spent MANY hours searching for PC Alternatives) and thus I see it to be a very wonderful thing... Plus the games are crazy cheap and almost all of them have demos!

10. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

Apps on your desktop?

Why not just call it 'software'?

Or is that just crazy?

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Well apps is short for applications which is what software makes up. Not much different. Just the way the world is evolving.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Because most of the games on android aren't on PC. That was kind of a dumb question.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

So to play do I need to pick up my monitor and wave it around while sticking both my thumbs on the screen to interact? Good thing I replaced that 20 inch CRT.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, there was Startup 2000. Okay, the first product you made was - from memory - a mobile phone, but the third was a games console. Despite Gamespot's terrible review, I really enjoyed it - although the bugs got a little bit much.

15. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

lol sounds fun! I can't wait to try this with my 27" LCD!!! It's going to be so AMAZING!

... or not