1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do pumps go?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by HawkeSolaris, 30 Apr 2014.

1. HawkeSolaris

HawkeSolaris What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question: Where do people commonly put the pump for their watercooling kit inside their case?
    I've read some reviews and information on watercooling recently and have a decent idea of how the kit goes together inside the case (radiator at the roof, reservoir in the optical bays) but I've yet to find where people commonly will put the pumps for their kit. So here I am asking about where people commonly put pumps? Is there a special place in cases where they can fit or do you have to mod to put them inside the case? Or do people have them outside the case commonly?

This would be useful information for when I have the finances to upgrade my current system- want to do watercooling! :)

Peace <3

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

At a level below the res typically. But Other than that, you can put it anywhere. I have it on the floor of my case on one of those sponge things.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Lowest place possible in the loop, after the reservoir.

4. HawkeSolaris

Could you elaborate on "one of those sponge things"? :)

I'm a complete noob so this is new to me. I always thought of things as being screwed or bolted down or slotting into a bay since my experience in PC construction doesn't go as far as watercooling.

Maybe some pics? :hehe:

5. theshadow2001

[​IMG]

Its a piece of sponge that you put your pump on in order to reduce the transmission of vibration to the case, thus reducing noise. Thats about the height of it.

You can secure the pump to it with some velcro, likewise with the it to the case. I just have the pump sitting on it I think. There's enough force from the hose to keep it in place.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2014
  6. HawkeSolaris

That makes sense. So you secure the sponge to the case (with the screws) and then you can velcro the pump to the sponge?

Or use the Force :cooldude:

7. theshadow2001

You can use screws, but I used nothing, just the force :D

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Mine just hangs off one of the hoses, does a great job of preventing vibrations from propagating.

9. rts2468

rts2468 What's a Dremel?

It doesnt matter where the pump is in location in the case. The only thing you have to take care of is that the Pump is gravity fed from the Reservoir. The Reservioir has to be above the Pump, so that the pump never has a chance to go dry.

10. sirdizel

sirdizel What's a Dremel?

If this is your first attempt at water cooling I strongly recommend a D5 pump and a bay reservoir e.g. something like this:

http://www.xs-pc.com/reservoirs/d5-dual-bay-reservoir

New one is a bit expensive but I got one used for cheap off ebay and it serves me well + looks super good.

11. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Pump can be placed anywhere in a loop as long as its feed by a reservoir and is primed before turning it on the first time.