1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 2K Games defends BioShock 2 DLC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I don't get it. Everyone has the DLC already on disk, so providing it as part of the base game wouldn't split the player base. I think they realise they've been caught out, and are trying to come up with excuses.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

********. That doesn't even make sense. If the data's there, and they don't want to "split the player base", why not install it for everyone when the install the game. For free. Arseholes.

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Everyone has the same thing = split player base. Charge so that only half the players can play together = united community.

Yeah, makes sense.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Shens

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

so what happens if one person pays for the DLC and then plays with a group of people who haven't? do all of the people who haven't paid benefit from the playing with the person who has?

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

The way I see it is the DLC contains the textures etc. for the additional characters weapons etc. so you need to have it installed to see other people who are playing as these characters, even if they're not accessible to you as playable characters.

8. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Here's how I think they've made a huge **** up and I'll use my favourite example again: Quake 3 Arena.

Q3 has an Sv_Pure system which prevents any client connecting to a pure server having files different to that of the server. This means he has to have a replica of the server content if he wants to play on that server.

Lets say in Q3 that the server has some new custom maps which cost him an unreasonable amount of money to buy and play. The people who bought that content can still play on normal Q3 server as they have all the original game files and this new DLC doesn't alter them. They can also go and play on their DLC servers. What can't happen is regular Q3 owners can't play the DLC cause they obviously don't have the files.

Here's what's happening in Bioshock 2:
    All players HAVE to be given all the original game files AND the DLC, cause if they didn't then there would be a client mismatch and they wouldn't be able to play together. That's like saying the original Q3 owner can't play on an original Q3 server on original Q3 maps with out having the custom DLC maps he doesn't even own (some might argue he does cause they were on the disc he purchased).

It's complete ******** and shows a huge flaw in their system of creating games. This isn't rocket science people. Developers have been doing this for ages successfully, whys it so hard for this game in particular? What also makes this absolutely ridiculous is the fact the "DLC" isn't even DLC any more! Developers getting sloppy.

9. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

So what happens if they to decide to release a DLC that they've genuinely worked on post release?

It's not "REALLY" a DLC anyway, the name itself implies what it is.

Downloading the "key" to unlock the content doesn't mean that it's actually "DLC".

I really don't why they did it like this, if everything was finished come release and they're putting it on the disc then they shouldn't under any circumstances, charge for it.

10. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

great. so if you want to play the multiplayer you're going to have to buy the DLC otherwise you're just going to get your ass handed to you over and over with the weapons you can see but can't have.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I like how they're still calling it DLC when they've admitted it's not DLC :duh:

Besides, just about every other developer has managed to release DLC after the game's release without splitting the player base, so why can't 2K? Are they really that s**t at coding or do they just assume all their customers have a single brain cell between them and are too stupid to see the truth behind their lame excuses. I'm not sure what's worse to be honest.

If they really had to have everyone install it, they could just make it a compulsory patch to play online while only people who pay get the extra features, but here they've just admitted they're simply charging extra for something that was created in the standard development cycle of the game, yet they have partitioned it off from the main game to get extra money from it instead of charging more for the game itself. What's worse is that this DLC seems to be almost compulsory if you want to do well in the multiplayer side of the game, thereby holding the consumer hostage.

This is not a trend I (or for that matter any self-respecting gamer) would like to see continued, and should not be encouraged. Kill them with fire.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats bollocks and you know it, Aztec is dead and we aint got....oh wait, wrong game

**** i need help :(

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That doesn't even make logical sense.

If you're letting people download the same data, everyone has the same data.

If you're giving people the content on the disc and unlocking it, everyone has the same data.

I don't think there's an interpretation of this that doesn't end with the publishers looking, first, unbelievably cynical, then second, pathetically unwilling to own up when rumbled.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I have not got this yet and not interested in the multiplayer, but it just shows whats coming. You buy a game with half the content locked and have to pay later to unlock it.

Its a good way to increase revenue. Look at Fable 2 on xbox live, they are selling that online in segments and it aint cheap, such a rip off when you can buy the full game for £10 now.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Why is it suddenly smelling like cow dung around me...

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Greedy liars.

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

DoW2 was recently updated to include all of the Chaos Rising units so that owners of the original can still play multiplayer and Last Stand with people who have CR. So that excuse is bollocks. In fact, I don't think they have done anything wrong by having it on the disc. Hell, it saves bandwidth and benefits everyone. I can see why they would do it this way.

The thing is though, that having it on the disc means it was developed and finished before the game was even launched. That is the issue, and I don't see anyone actually complaining about that. Frankly, if they had released this as true DLC this close to launch, I would still be miffed. The only difference between finishing it before release and putting it on the disc, and finishing it before release and making it true DLC at this time is that now we know they finished it before release, with the former we would only suspect it.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

+1

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

If by Shens you mean shenanigans then +1

Highly HIGHLY disappointed here.

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Thats how I've interpreted it from the article too.

Although, in Forza 3, with their download packs. I've only got one of them. I was playing with someone, who has one of the packs I don't. They picked one of the DLC cars, and in the menu it showed their car as 'DLC car'. However, in the game, I could see the car fine.
    With the track pack, I think its a different matter. But the cars all seem to display fine even to people who haven't bought the packs.

It sounds like 2K are telling the truth.

Tags: Add Tags