1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Haswell processors rumored for June launch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 23 Jan 2013.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

2. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

Do we know what to expect from these chips? All i seem to read is better efficiency, while thats good it is surely more important for ultrabooks and mobile platforms rather than a desktop. Are they likely to be better/faster than ivy?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

They will be 10% faster with better efficiency is a guess. Probably has a better onboard Gpu as well.

Dou't we will ever see a core2duo style boost in performance or the x58 platform style boost. Don't think that will happen unless there's some new discovery.

Even this efficiency curve can only go so low before you hit the wall.

Even if you compare the x58 980x to a 3960k the performance differences are at best 20-25% and that's in 4 years on $999 chips.

Think desktop CPU could hit a wall performance wise quiet alot faster than many expect.( it already has if all your using a pc for is gaming)

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they were just Ivy speed without the heat issue (in my opinion anyway)

5. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

I'm probably ready to build at the end of this month, it will be a complete new platform so was contemplating waiting but for 10% performance gains and a little more efficiency its not really worth waiting. Onboard gpu is irrelevant too as I will still need a discrete card for ultra settings 1080p gaming.

Must be due a new round of amd gpus soon too. Might be worth holding out for those.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Keep in mind the new CPU is only part of what will make it a worthy upgrade. New chipsets are rumored to have a lot of improvements and new features as well. I've been holding out for it to update from my i5-750/P55 set up.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I wouldn't wait if I was in your position (unless you really don't need to upgrade)

I will be waiting however as I won't have the money to upgrade until April at the earliest and that's close enough to June for me. It's not really that my rig needs an upgrade, rather my OHs does (so she can have the guts of mine and I can have shiny new parts :D)

Edit: Great minds think alike eh lysol?!

Edit 2: Wonder what a nice 4670k and a new mobo will set me back...

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Owning the 990X and the 3960X, me and Pookeyhead did tests to see the speed differences. Our results showed the 3960X @ 4.7GHz the same speed set on the 990X showed the 3960X had a 10% performance increase clock for clock.

Why ain't they shipping these CPU's with at least PCIe 3.0 x16 x2 for maximum multiple GPU bandwidth...

I guess they will be leaving that to the X79 platform successor.

9. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

Well i was gaming on an xbox that left with my flatmate and current (ancient) 939 rig wont be much of a help. I only play casually so it's not the end of the world but a recent snow day would have been so much better with some skyrim.

June doesnt sound too far away but it will be a good four months and thats if everything is availible on time. I would like to see what the next round of mini itx boards will bring. Perhaps i'll hang on a month and see if any more solid info comes out about features etc...

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I agree. The heat issues with Ivy Bridge were really annoying. That chip has so much more in it, but I just can't get past the thermal barrier thanks to that damned TIM they used. I'm not gonna de-lid my chip or invest in hundreds of dollars worth of cooling equipment just to get around it :grr: