1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft investors call for Gates' ouster

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Am I wrong but shouldn't the title say Gates' ousting rather than ouster?

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

both ouster and ousting are correct

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Ouster is predominantly an American usage, according to the OED.

The three shareholders in question might own 5% market share, but Bill & Steve own over 8% between them, so it's unlikely that this is going to happen. It's more grandstanding than anything, I think.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Double post thanks to BT's slowness today :(

Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh, I love corporate politi....

...zzzz.

7. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Sorry but it's a minority of shareholders, probably greedy corporate types who want Microsoft to do more than take our eyes out and come back for the sockets.

What people really want is Gates to come back and sort Microsoft out, the lunatics are running the asylum over there. With Ballmer at the helm who led them from catastrophe to catastrophe in recent years. Maybe they might need someone new who shares Gate's vision to bring something new, without being too much of a radical departure from what people are used to as has been the problem with the Windows 8 debacle. As for the new Xbox well I don't think I need to say anything about that, it speaks for itself.

I have to admit if It was my company which I had built and a few malcontents were rocking the boat I'd tell them straight where to get off. But also take note of the problems that have beset Microsoft in recent years and make some changes.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, most of Ballmer's not-so-good decisions were either backed by Gates, made in close consultation with Gates or made in keeping with Gates' vision. He shares as much blame as anybody else for Microsoft's past mistakes.

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Potentially true (too lazy to go looking for sources), but it might be that Ballmer's a hell of a salesman. Especially the last few years, since Gates stepped back from MS to concentrate on the B&MGF, Ballmer might have been selling Gates some really half-baked ideas due to Gates being distracted.

On a much smaller scale, the same is happening where I work - new management that has no clue what they're doing are eating the company from the inside, and the guys that used to be running the show are nodding distractedly, because their minds are on other things now.