1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Trying to find a motherboard to use with a Raid Card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ScottieNiven, 30 Jan 2013.

1. ScottieNiven

ScottieNiven What's a Dremel?

Hello.

Im having some problems finding a motherboard comapatable with a Ciprico RaidCore RC5252-8 Raid card. It is based on the Broadcom BCM8603. (PCIe 4x card)

I bought an Intel Celeron G550 and an ASRock H61M-ITX board to build the NAS, but sadly foudn the board will not detect the card under and circumstance. The RAID card is receiving power.

After some searching I found that the Intel H61 chipset does not like cards with PCIe > PCIx bridges, so the motherboard and G550 are usless.

The card is currently in my server with an ASUS P5QPL-AM board with a Pentium D 925 and it works perfectly.

My question now is, what MITX board and CPU would work in this situation, I also want to keep costs to a minimum. (<£70)(Only order from Amazon)

I am considering going to AMD for this now. (I much prefer Intel)

I was looking at the ASUS C60M1-I with a AMD C-60 and 6 Sata ports.
    The Asrock E350M1 with an AMD E350 but only has 4 sata ports.

Which of these boards do you think will work with this RAID card , or is it a gamble at this point?
    Qucik Edit: Im not booting off the RAID card, im just using it as storage, im booting off a seperate SATA harddrive.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2013
  2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If switching boards I suggest Zotac H67, it have 6 sata ports and you can use the cpu you already have. Also I think the raid card will work on it if you need more ports. I had a pci-e 4x 4 port sata card with Marvell 88SX7042 in it for a little bit and it worked fine. Though it was just a simple sata not raid and not bootable.

3. ScottieNiven

Its still an Intel 6 series board, it will not work with this card.

Quote from http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19714/eng/DH61BE_SpecUpdate03.pdf

"PCI cards that utilize a PCI Express* to PCI bridge component may
    not work with Intel® Desktop Boards based on the Intel® 6 Series
    Chipset."

Thats why im looking at AMD boards.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Why would you go with that card? It doesn't seem to offer much of anything over the onboard solution, seeing as it's running over that bridge. Use your CPU and board, I don't think you'll get any better performance from that card. A MUCH better bet (and sometimes dirt cheap if you look right) would be a PERC 5i. I have seen them for as low as $20USD on eBay, which is where I locate much of my equipment these days.

5. ScottieNiven

The reason Im using this card is because I already have it.

Its controlling 8x 250gb drives in RAID 5.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

As others have suggested, just ditch the card and get another raid card. HP smart array cards work on Intel 6 series chipsets.