1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

My hair is thick and bountiful, and it's FAR from well treated!

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, isn't this basically a reworked Define Rx case? It certainly looks like it's coming from the same OEM.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Despite the poor cooling results and the boring, and seemingly ubiquitous, minimalist design (I hate case doors and Fractal looks bore me to tears), I'm fairly impressed with the DS1. As pointed out, the attention to detail is very good - I like the idea of the extra HDD cage mount, allowing the inclusion of a radiator in the front.

I think you could build a very tidy and quiet watercooled rig in this chassis.

5. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

This case is the editors choice at Anandtech, I'm very surprised to see the difference of opinion on this case from these two very respectable sites.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  6. David

Yeah, yeah. You'll tell us anything, L'Oreal boy! :p :hehe:

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

If I hadn't already upgraded to an R4 earlier this year I would have definately considered this case. A great start for Nanoxia me thinks.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Somehow I fail to see what this case has that the Corsair Obsidian 550D doesn't have.

9. David

A £20 head start?

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Quieter fans, more hard drive bays. And why do you ask your question like that ? By that logic there is no reason to have 550D either, NZXT H2 nor Define R2, R3 or R4. What everyone needs is Antec P180, right ?

Just because something is similar it doesn't mean there is no place for that case on the market.

For example if you want to use top fan spots on any of the other cases, you will end up with ugly holes in top - most ugly ones are on 550D and H2, R2/R3/R4 have the standard fan holes which are average - DS1 will have your top fans covered even if you use them. Sure, it will look like a car spoiler, but it will cover your fans and computer from "direct attacks from above" (liquids, dust), gives enough space for fans to do their job and partially blocks the direct sound path.

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

a small thought. might it be possible to include the cases ment for low noise in their own little graph ? means these that are desinged to be quiet above cooling dont have to compete agasint the likes of the FT02 and the like, plenty of these 'low noise' cases on the market at the moment

12. richiehatchet

richiehatchet What's a Dremel?

^ What they said ^ ... good idea!

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Fuller, thicker, healthy looking hair!
    http://vimeo.com/33607077

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

???

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

It's allmost a 100% copy of the FD Define R3/4 and funnily enough performs worse.

I'm sticking with my FD Define Mini. No need for full ATX anymore these days.

Additionally, in regards to the HDD-bays and the big amount of them... who needs more then 3 HDDs anyways? 1x SSD for OS, 1x SSD for workfiles and 1x 2+ TB SATA. All the rest, like the movie-collections you want to keep and all that are stored on big external storages anyways.

16. faugusztin

And what do you think is used for those big external storages if :
    1) you don't have a rackmount server ?
    2) you have more requirements than a 4-drive NAS can handle ?

Yes, that is what DS1 is meant for, same as Define R2/R3 (and R4 in smaller part).

What you said is pretty much "I don't know what is the point of these cases with many hard drive bays, because big storage systems are in cases with many hard drive bays." :eyebrow:

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Around here the DS1 costs about 10-15 GBP more than the 550D. Granted, the Define is cheaper than the 550D but not excessively so.
    Maybe I shouldn't quite have phrased it quite this way, but I've seen several reviews where the DS1 and also the Define get heaps of praise while the 550D gets less so. And this while the 550D performs at least equal to or better than either the DS1 or the Define.

Personally, I find the 550D easier on the eyes than either the DS1 or the Define, but personal tastes are ...well, personal. :)

18. faugusztin

550D looks better in stock configuration. But once you need a side or top fan, then it goes from looking very good to looking very bad, just because of removal of those panels. If Corsair would have provided replacement mesh panels, it would be good.

550D is in most countries more expensive than both Define R3 (by about 15-20 euros) and DS1 (by about 5-10 euros). If DS1 is overpriced in your case, then it is an issue with your supplier (and considering i had to help recommend stuff for some people in Denmark, i seen that your prices are bit off compared to rest of Europe). 550D is less suited for a server case compared to R2/R3/R4/DS1 due lower number of hard drive bays. This is where DS1 hits the sweet spot, they keep the 8 bays of Fractal Define cases, while add one extra 5.25" bay at expense of some extra weight.

The grommets are on whole different level compared to R2/R3 too (didn't have a chance to work with R4 yet). And fans are much better than the ones supplied by R2/R3, i actually kept the ones i got with DS1 instead of replacing them with my usual combo choicecs of Silverstone Air Penetrators or Noiseblockers.

19. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

MEANT!!!!
    DESIGNED!!!
    AGAINST!!!

20. David

Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.

(c) Terry Pratchett

:p

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
    Baz likes this.
Tags: Add Tags