1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple unveils OS X 10.10 Yosemite, iOS 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

I think they mean 10.1 or 11 which would make it OSXI

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, they mean 10.10 (ten point ten), which comes after 10.9 (ten point nine) and before 10.11 (ten point eleven.) It is the tenth point revision to OS X, itself the tenth instalment of what was formerly known as Mac OS. I get what you're trying to say, but point revisions have never worked like numbers - you can't just drop the trailing zero, 'cos it's not a trailing zero. Think of it like this: it's not a floating point number, it's two integers with a full stop as the delimiter to distinguish major and minor revisions.

Plus, if Apple's version numbering hurts your head, never use Ubuntu. Canonical opted for a (I think pretty straightforward) year-point-month release system: Ubuntu 12.10 was released in October 2012; Ubuntu 14.10 will be released in October 2014. There was never a 12.11, 'cos it's a six-month release cycle; the next version after 14.10 will be 15.04, released six months after 14.10 in April 2015.

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I understand this one hundred and ten point ten percent.

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

LMAO, so so true!

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

That's because it's not a maximise button it's a 'zoom' button that can be used to maximise the window, or restore it to it's before zoomed state.

So it works as a maximise button unless the app developer has decided to handle maximise differently. EG in Safari the zoom button will increase the window size to fit the web content but it won't automatically crazy wide giving you lots of wasted space.

This actually works much nicer than a 'maximise' button but if you're expecting a full screen maximise it's not that. For that you can use the 'full screen' button (Has it's own flaws IMHO) or configure the system to give you a permanent maximise. This is what I do as like many, I'm actually okay with a 'maximise' feature going full screen.

I never use the green button as I just use drag actions and keyboard shortcuts to replicate the Aero snap feature from Windows. I regularly 'maximise' my working windows, but also want a 50/50 half width 'auto fit' as well and for that I had to move away from the standard OSX way of doing things.

Having said all that, the apps that can really benefit from a full screen maximise get exactly that. It's only apps like Safari where full screen isn't always better where something else happens.

That's the thing with OSX, it's 'different' to Windows but different for a reason. If you don't like the difference you are free to tweak to get it how you want it.

I've always tweaked my computers UI, from Amiga OS, through all versions of Windows and now Windows & OSX. I'm okay with that.

But it's always good for a laugh at Macs to point out how backwards they are right? Ha Ha Mac's don't even have a right mouse button! Macs maximise button doesn't always maximise! Macs don't run normal software! Macs are overpriced. Macs scroll wheel goes the wrong way! Macs aren't easy to use as things are different to how they are on windows, if they wanted things to be easy they should just copy what I already know! Ha Ha Ha Macs.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Is this latest iteration being offered as a free upgrade for existing Maverick/Lion users?

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

People don't like change... But they won't admit that they don't like change...

FWIW, there was numerous things about OSX that did my head in... most of them related to the [again imo] god-awful mouse... However most of them were easy remedied in the settings...

I'm not a fan of OSX, never have been, and personally I really don't like the direction they're going in with the UI. But I'm sure if i ever had the misfortune of having to use a mac for my day-to-day work again I could easily fix any issues I had...

Based on my quick skim of things, it's free... with a beta due in the summer [July iirc]...

9. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

There are some things that look similar to Gnome 3.12, which is funny because Gnome has taken many design queues from Apple as well.

Apparently 10.00 will also introduce a dark theme. I wonder how it'll look like.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2014
  10. RedFlames

A bit like this -

[​IMG]

11. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Interesting, I wonder if the windows will be black on white text as well.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I thought news articles were supposed to remain neutral in tone? This (like most Apple articles) has a distinctly negative sound.

13. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Personally, I usually watch these developers conferences and see some interesting consumer announcements. This time I think the real interesting announcements were in the second half of the keynote and meant for the developers - the freebies - the broad beta availability - the Swift update - the GFX API updates. At one point as the camera panned past one excited developer, I thought he was going to explode! I understood his excitement, and I think Apple will be giving developers an unbeatable amount of support.

All I need now is to be able to stream my Steam library across my Apple devices and I will be happy.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

There low level metal Api was one of the better announcements for developers they all looked like they were going giddy at that.

Not really sure what more features either andriod or IOS lack at this point.

15. RedFlames