1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Fussy Eaters!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkwisdom, 14 May 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I dunno if I'm the irrational one here. My missus is a fussy eater and passed it onto our kids.

Things like me having to cook a chicken breast for an hour at 200 degrees in foil for her to eat it or sausages that have to be cooked so there isn't a single pink bit left in the slightest, they have to be pretty much black, crunchy and awful beforeshell touch them. I can't donice roasts because vegetables can't be just a little soft, they must be mushy. And I can't do lamb or beef nicely because they can't be a bit pink at all, like they should be!!

Is she fussy or am I just nitpicking?

Is anyone here a fussy eater or have a fussy partner?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's pretty extreme - a chicken breast cooked for an hour at 200 is going to taste nasty, ditto mushy veg (damnit, veg should barely see a pan of boiling water and have a nice crunch). Ever discussed why she's so fussy?

3. Darkwisdom

She doesn't want to risk food poisoning. We've been together 6 years, I do all the cooking and I've never given anybody food poisoning because I'm maticulous about timings and hygiene. But she claims that she likes it that way, but I really hate it. I don't even eat dinner most days because I just don't want to eat food the way she likes it, it tastes horrible and ironically, makes me feel sick.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Note hugely fussy, but there are a few common foods that are a no-go.

Lettuce is probably the worst. Makes salads impossible unless they're made with an alternative like spinach. Ruins the majority of sandwiches and burgers, along with other foods like tacos. Even worse when it's shredded and difficult to remove.

Tomatoes are similarly a no. Particularly when they're warm, such as on a hot sandwich. Tomato based pasta sauces are usually okay, but ketchup is also terrible and ruins anything it touches.

Mushrooms would be the third "nope" item. This one's not so uncommon, though, and people usually don't raise such an eyebrow when asking to hold them. Still capable of ruining anything they sneak their way into.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

cook the way you like server for you and tell her will be burn to a crisp an another 30 mins after you eaten

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I eat anything but certain things I prefer not to eat which Is known within my family, occasionally I am forced to eat them to be polite to a friend or someone who invites me to dinner.

I'm just not big on food that is mushed, mashed or pureed (word?) within an inch of its life when it tastes better whole.

Mash potatoes, No keep those bad boys whole and roast them!
    Peas, No keep those bad boys whole and with a bit of a bite

Where I work we serve set breakfasts most of the day with a open modify option which I DESPISE!

"No mushrooms, no beans, no tomatoes, no hash browns, extra sausages for that, No fried bread no egg can I have scrambled?? well done bacon, flora on the toast, wholemeal toast instead of white, toast away from the eggs please"

You know what my mum used to say to me?

"Eat around it" eventually it just became easier to eat it all

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I was totally the same boat, my missus was very picky, though now not as bad as she was. I tend to cook things and just not tell her how I've cooked it / what I've added to it, she says its nice and I admit to adding things, she hates it and I say I cooked it the way she does.

My little girl on the other hand won't try anything, won't try milk, sauces (i.e. all foods are dry, no gravy, ketchup etc).

It gets to me a bit but I can't force them to eat so I tend to cook what I want and they come around eventually.

Just stop having the things she likes and she'll have to try something different.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

@Darkwisdom - Your other half needs a slap with a fresh, uncooked salmon imo...

There's not liking rare/raw meat and there's being paranoid about food poisoning... but that's just mental...

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes.

Also, did anyone else think of something else when reading the title?

Last edited: 14 May 2014
  10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I hate people telling me how to cook, I like what I like.

Chef's that smother things in herbs and spices annoy the crap out of me.
    I love roast lamb....why does it need rosemary.
    I love roast beef ....why does it need mustard.
    I love roast pork ....why does it need apple sauce.

Seriously eat things the way you like it and ignore everyone else.

This doesn't really help the OP but it's my 5p's worth :)

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That is all.

12. RedFlames

I do like beef and mustard as a combo, agreed on the other 2 though...

Re: Lettuce in salads... i'm not a fan of lettuce... or salad in general for that matter, but i'm not going to throw a strop like a toddler and declare my burger ruined because it came with some ropey green leaves on/near it... life's too ****ing short for **** like that...

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh mint too (yuck) but rosemary as well

I like meat to taste like it supposed to....MEAT.

I don't disagree with what the chefs say so to speak but I just don't think you have to do it all the time, sometimes meat just tastes great as it is.

Oh and cloves....nothing tastes nice with cloves, why add cloves to gammon you may as well add actual clothes if you want something to taste bad.

Last edited: 14 May 2014
  14. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I am a fussy eater, I need my meat to be well cooked, passed down from my dad.

I do like blander foods, a lot of tastes and textures make me physically sick. It's not a choice that I cant stomach juicy veg, or anything that remotely tastes like nuts.

For me it's an advantage. My family never had much money so meals consisted of stuff you can buy in bulk that will fill a family up for cheap and can be recycled in another meal.

I do like to think that in a way what we eat is based on previous experiences through parents and siblings.

Perhaps why I and others like well cooked foods is because being from low income working families, food poisoning would destroy the families potential income. And our tastes have developed from what foods that were available to cook with for larger families.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yeah but rosemary potatoes are god-tier food.

16. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

She's fussy. Shame the kids have taken that side, though tastes change so it's worth getting them to try things once in a while.

I used to be fairly picky, I'll now eat anything aside from Baked Beans (weird phobia), Jellyfish (not nice) and Liquorice (tastes awful). Anything else I'll try. Baby Octopus I can take or leave...

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

As a kid I had severe allergic reactions to pretty much all food, for a spell I could only eat lamb, licorice and kendal mint cake, I think I was Ok with some veg though I was only pre school age so can't really remember. As with most kids and allergies I slowly outgrew them, but it took a long time. I remember having to have different school dinners to the other kids.
    This wasn't me being fussy, I just couldn't eat stuff. My mum kept a diary of what happened and the reactions to various foods.
    Anyway I will eat anything now I am not fussy, no offence intended to anyone that is a fussy eater, but I have no time for them.
    My wife is a lot fussier than me, but it is mostly meat that she is funny with, not so much on how it is cooked but as in which bits she will eat. Won't touch mince, sausages etc. I understand the logic but it really annoys me. She is slowly getting better though and is now far more open to try new stuff.

Rhydian I was from a working family, we weren't poor, but we weren't rich, my folks were very careful with their money and food was usually turned into another meal, or YMCA my mum used to call it (yesterday's muck come again) we loved it though and for me personally it developed a love of cooking and experimenting with food, which led on to flavours. I've made some right ming when experimenting but I've also made some absolutely belting stuff too.

If you are a fussy eater and want to broaden your horizons start little, my wife for example refused to go anywhere near a pepper now she buys about 4 a week.

Our kids started to show signs of fussy eating. It got nipped in the bud. Today for example they had fajitas, mild obviously, started trying the whole ughh I won't eat it, it looks horrible, etc then ate the lot. I've also found that our kids are much less fussy now we all sit and eat together as a family, we couldn't do it before due to timing issues with work etc)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. Darkwisdom

Okay, how about this?

I'll slave over a roast with all the trimmings and she'll smother it in mint sauce, even if we don't have lamb.

Her brothers put ketchup on my roasts when I cook them christmas dinner. I don't argue because they ALL do it. Grr..

19. RedFlames

It's not your fault they're all mad...

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

This is what I do.