1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Photocard License renewal

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 14 Aug 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This a bit of a random one, but anyone on here had to renew their [UK] Photocard driving license recently [within the last 12 months]?

Mine's due for renewal shortly [October] and i have a few questions, questions which google/the gov.uk site have been unable to answer...

Firstly, how far in advance do they send the renewals out? Mines not due for renewal until octboer, but i'd rather not leave it to the last minute [and i can't do it online as i don't have a passport].

Secondly, do you still need a 'person of standing' to sign the photo? Only know a couple of people who qualify and the opportunities to get them do it if it needs doing between now and October are few.

All this ballache and I can't even drive... :wallbash:

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Yes, you do.

I renewed mine last year, went to a Post Office and did it there. Most big POs have a Driving License/ID/Passport service, it was about £16 on top of the Driving License fee but they do the photo there (and validate it as you have presented yourself in person) and double check your forms for you, it was a lot less ball ache than doing it online or by post.

Got my license a couple of week after.

RedFlames likes this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Thanks for that, will take a wander down to the local PO see if they can do that...

4. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Did the post office thing wednesday afternoon. Got the new license friday morning...

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I still have my paper license from 1997, my address hasn't changed so I have never updated it. Is it necessary?

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The paper licence is no longer valid, you should have a photocard licence which needs to be renewed every ten years.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Woops, never had any letter from the DVLA mind. I'll pop down the post office and get some pictures taken and the forms done.

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Erm, the pre-1998 paper licence is still valid.
    If you change your details you will have to transition to the photocard, but until that point you're fine. linky

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If you have a passport you have the option to link to that, they share the photo which has already been validated.

11. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Yep this - I have to renew mine every 3 years (damn you Diabetes!) and have always linked it to my passport.