1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Could this be my noise problem (Video included)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kuroidoragon, 9 Dec 2014.

1. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

For a while now since changing over my PC case I can hear what I can only describe as a faint/quiet noise which sounds like a HDD being accessed even though I dont have a HDD I have a SSD

when I put my ear to the PC to try & locate it it sounds like its coming from the PSU/GPU area of the case but cant sure where its coming from

I have turned the PSU up the otherway around facing downwards out the vents at the bottom of the case as I was suggested to here in another post but I can still hear it

I found this random youtube video & to me this is what the sound sounds like in my pc & its the same card in this video to as what I have I am not saying this is it it just sounds like a very similar noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t3XKMIxq2c

any ideas how to stop or quiten it ?

please bear in mind im not very intelligent so anything technical or to difficult might not be possible for me

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Can you stop the fans with your finger just for a moment, if the sounds stops it's a fan and you can work from there.

3. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

could do but for obvious reasons I am a bit worried about trying that

I tried it feebly just for a second but couldn't really tell any difference but as said it is very quiet I (might) be worry about nothing but you know what its like when you here the slightest noise

I believe I should be getting a new PSU for XMAS so that may or may not help

any ideas what else I can check ?

could it be the fact I have new/different fans as part of the case that came with it ?
    or is it just how it sounds as normal with this case ?

I have a NZXT Phantom enthusiast usb 3.0

4. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

There is no problem in stopping your gpu fan/s for a good few seconds to check noise levels. It won't harm to stop them rotating fully. I've done it to all my cards over the years for one reason or another. Just turn fan speed to low first in MSI.

5. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

I installed speedfan 4.50 & the little GPU fan box with the tiny up & down arrow i turned down all the way to %0 & I can still here it

but it definitly controls fan speed as I can make it loud or quiet with that

but it makes no difference with the noise I can here

obviously I cant hear it when i turn it up it gets loud anyway

6. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

Just thought I got on board GFX so tommorow will take gfx card out & try from that at least I will know then if it is that or not

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats a good idea. If you're worried about sticking your finger in the case fans just unplug them. It won't do any harm to you PC if you are worried about that. Even unplugging the CPU cooler fan for a very short time will be ok.

If you have got a clicking rattling sound like in the video, then chances are its a fan blade touching or rubbing on something. Easy to fix though.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2014
  8. silk186

silk186 Derp

it sounds like you have a predator in your case.
    First thing I would do is unplug all case fan headers as I would guess that one of them is the source. If you still hear it, you can adjust your GPU fan speed to see if it changes the sound.
    This should isolate the source of your noise.

9. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

at the point of posting this message I am/was using on board graphics with no seperate card physically inside my machine & I can still here it so I am happy it is not MY GFX card as it still does it when its inside

so it is either the PSU or one of the new fans that come with the case all though it does happen I would of thought the new fans would be the least likely cause

will unplug those one by one next just to check

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Noticed that my dvd drive was making a squealing sound today with a disk in, maybe check that??

11. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

Last edited: 10 Dec 2014