1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Terraria

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Margo Baggins, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

I think I like this game, i bought it the other day for a couple of quid in the steam sale. I dont know if I fully "get" the game though.

I built a character, I random'd a large world....

now what?

It rolls from day into night, in the day time there is some baddies, at the night time there is alot more baddies, last night, i spent I think about 3 hours basically digging a big hole. Well, kind of, there was a very deep pond, and I thought obviously there is something great down there, so I made it my mission to drain big pond into a new man made hole, so I dug my hole, was a very complicated hole as I had to make it so I could still get out, and so I could initiate the filling without getting drowned etc. So i drained the big pond, and it was satisfying.

But thats not the point is it? I mean, I just have a inventory full of lots of different types of blocks, and a few things that seem reletively useless, and sometimes I lose stuff between closing the game and opening it - dont even know how that happens but it happened once with my pickaxe which meant I had to make a new character, as I didnt know how to craft or buy another pickaxe.

I am enjoying digging my holes, and I have even built a few walls, platforms, and other exciting block based structures. Where do i go from here? Is it literally just a sandbox game with some different times of day and some baddies? if I keep running left will i ever get to the end of left (likewise, with up, down and right?).

For some reason, I am itching for the next hour or so to fly, praying that no clients call me with severe problems so I can run home and dig more holes, but I dont know why I am enjoying it, and I want to know what the journey is supposed to be like!

2. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Basically, you need to complete certain requirements to get NPC's to move in, then destroy the 3 Semi-Boss's, Then destroy the Wall of flesh boss, then beat the hard-mode boss's.... In a nut shell xD

3. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Speak to the guide and ask him about crafting, he shows you what you can make with each ingredient, and if you need a crafting table/anvil or whatever to make it. So for example if you ask him what you can make with wood, (by dragging and dropping wood into the box by the crafting area of the HUD) he'll show you most of the items in the game, and show you waht other items you need to combine with the wood to get it.

4. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Sorry - what guide?

5. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

The Guide is the NPC at the spawn when you first start, and the first NPC to move into a room when it meets the criteria (size, table & chair, light source, door)

Failing that, here's a Starter guide

I would strongly recommend not delving too deep on the wiki, as a lot of the fun of the game is discovering new areas/items/enemies/crafting stuff yourself.

6. Margo Baggins

my guide was called Daniel, he got slain by zombies.....

Does that mean new world time?!

7. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

You need to build a room for him to live in, and he should respawn/move in. Use your axe and chop down a bunch of trees, then make a work bench and place it on the ground. Standing next to the work bench will give you more items you can craft. You'll need to make a door, a table, a chair and lots of wooden paneling (all just use wood) and a torch (wood+ gel (get from killing any slimes)) You then need a room that is around 7x10 in size, use wooden blocks for walls/floor/roof, place the table and chair inside with the torch, and put the door in place and fill the background with wooden panelling.

There is a button under the housing menu that checks if a room is valid for an NPC to move into, once you've done the above you can check it's valid with this. Assuming all is well he should move in relatively quickly (you'll get a message and his picture in the room). You'll need to make a room per NPC as you progress through the game and meet the other pre-requisites for them to move in.

8. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

The game does seem to involve lots of digging to get the ore you need to make the stuff you want. Or sometimes just to get to places. Found it hard to get my GF interested beyond killing slime and zombies together. She quickly bored of the digging.

9. Margo Baggins

50 hours in, and I think terraria is one of the best games I have ever played.

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Lol, it's easy to get hooked! Have you finished hard mode? I got stuck there, trying to kill the bosses took too much work.

11. Margo Baggins

No - i purposefully didnt go into hard mode for ages, I did last night do the wall of flesh, and im now in hard mode. its alot harder!

But what I did before that - I put nice brick walls and stone back wall all the way down my hellevator. That took yonks. But now it looks sweet, and I build a massive room where it lands in hell.

I have mainly been making a world with my housemate, I stupidly made a large world as my first world, but we are now working on a small world.

God knows how Im going to hold the corruption at bay!

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

This.

Easily the best $10 i ever spent on a game. i wish i could give them more money.

13. Margo Baggins

I got it for like £1.75 in a sale!

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

me and the GF are halfway through hardmode. We're just gearing up to take on those other bosses....

15. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I've almost got full Adam, aiming to get Hallowed before I get onto the weapons...:3

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I love how the OP could, word for word, just as well be describing Terraria or Minecraft.

17. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

In my humble opinion terreria is far superior to minecraft , as i think minecraft needs to be heavily modded before it becomes half as playable as terreria !. With the new update to it also which was free (activision could learn from this!) there is a ton more stuff to do. First thing i would do in a new game is gather some stone and wood and build yourself a base to work from! then dig! and explore!

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Terraria 1.2 is out ! HUGE update :lol:

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Anyone else been playing the new update?
    Also, Terraria 2 sort of announced...

20. Margo Baggins

I haven't yet played the update - I watched some video about it but it was specific about the updates - can anyone give me a brief run down of whats now better? I was happy to see the update as sometime last year I read something about them stopping the development of it which made me sad.

Tags: