1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rockstar: New firmware causing PS3 overheating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Apparently they have retracted their statement because its been happening on the Xbox aswell.

3. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

That may explain my fan going into overdrive afte 30 minutes of play on Assassins Creed BH

4. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr What's a Dremel?

Older PS3s need a cleanout from time to timedue to dust. But the main reason they are overheating is people are spending too much time on the game without sufficent ventilation. PS3 gamers were up in arms when GT5 was released as well as apparently it was causing PS3s to overheat (YLOD).

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This story has been updated.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Is this game meant to be any good just out of interest? (sorry for my disinterest PS3ers!)

7. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

These claims come ever ytime after a dash or firmware update. People need an explanation for something and the only thing they can think off is that thing they installed last week. I've seen all sorts of hardware and software related issues contributed to installing Windows updates, of course 99% of them had nothing to do with it.

8. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Didn't something like this happen with GTA4?

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I've not had that, I have an older 360 got the game early from shopto.net yesterday :)

yeah, my PS3 crapped out with that game, and it was a firmware issue at the time. hopefully sony will have it fixed soon if PSN finally gets sorted out

10. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

FWIW both La Noire and then later in the night 3d Dot Game Heroes had exceptionally hot discs, 3dDGH didn't have that issue prior. I have an early model Slim.

11. moddingmaster

moddingmaster Newbie Modder

my ps3 has been folding for tha past 72hrs and i cannot l hear the fan, nor gaming. (ps3 slim 40nm/45nm)

12. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I've been looking at dusting off for the GTAbox* for this, but am going to wait to see if the console can handle it first.

*Maybe I'm just difficult to please, but literally the only console exclusives I consider to be worth my time have been from Rockstar games. They've single handedly dispelled the idea that console games are inherently stupid, but it is somewhat annoying that they seem to always have framerate issues.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Pointing fingers much?

Pick easy target, cover up their own problems.

14. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Happens everywhere, I'm getting fed up with having to spend days investigating potential release problems only to find out that the problem lies in the underlying system but those responsible point the finger at my team</rant>

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Aha bad placement & no ventilation & heavy workload causes ps3 overheating.

This is why I made my entertainment stack & made a levitated thoroughly ventilated system for my ps3, for the xbox I done an extreme air cooling mod on it & they can both play for how ever long I want without getting a tiny bit warm :D.

I noted how hot the ps3 slim was getting when just plonked on a table & knew it didn't need an extreme mod to keep it cool but instead just a good ventilation mod, keeps it nice & cool.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Santa-san

Santa-san A friendly person

That gaming tower construction looks great! :thumb: You built it all yourself, or is it available for purchase anywhere?

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Santa-san :) yes I built it myself & my fairly heavy air cube pc sits on top of it also but will probably put a tv in place of it once I get using stealthlow :D but yeah there should be things like this available with active cooling on shelves, set top boxes would benefit from it as they can get pretty toasty also.

Tags: Add Tags