1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Changing Languages

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TeenGeek, 11 Dec 2012.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hello all, I need to study for my finals in Japanese, and it would be a great help to me if I could do that by typing all of the vocabulary onto Word, or quizlet, or something similar to that. The issue is that I can't figure out a good way to do that. My school uses Macs, but all we have at home is a PC. I am trying to figure out a way that will let me switch languages in a way that is similar to macs, e.g. click on something in my taskbar that will change the input language, but not the UI language.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I may be being a bit thick right now, having not found a good solution, but I have been perusing the google for a couple of hours now...

Thanks!

2. TeenGeek

Hello all, I need to study for my finals in Japanese, and it would be a great help to me if I could do that by typing all of the vocabulary onto Word, or quizlet, or something similar to that. The issue is that I can't figure out a good way to do that. My school uses Macs, but all we have at home is a PC. I am trying to figure out a way that will let me switch languages in a way that is similar to macs, e.g. click on something in my taskbar that will change the input language, but not the UI language.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I may be being a bit thick right now, having not found a good solution, but I have been perusing the google for a couple of hours now...

Thanks!

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Assuming you are using Windows 8, it's simple.

1- Open the Language panel, found in the Control Panel. To open it quickly: Go to the Start Screen, type: Language, and select Settings, now click on Language. A panel will open.

2- One that panel, click on Add a language button, and select Japanese. Next to the clock, you'll notice "ENG" button/text appear. Click on it, and you can switch to Japanese input.
    Then all you need to do, is set Word to the Japanese language. See the option panel of Word, under Language.

And your done. :)

TeenGeek likes this.
  4. TeenGeek

Ah, right, forgot to say, I am using Windows 7, not 8, although 8 may be in the works soon.

5. GoodBytes

1- Start > type: languages > select: Region and Languages.
    2- A panel will open. On that panel, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab. Than click on Change keyboards... button.
    3- Another panel will open. From there, click on the Add button.
    4- Another panel will open where you'll see a tree, go to and expand Japanese, and expand under it Keyboard.
    5- Now, check the boxes: Japanese, and Microsoft IME.
    6- Click on OK. Than on the previous panel, click on OK as well.

You should see "ENG" text next to your notification bar (next to the clock). Click on it, to switch languages.

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

You can add dictionaries to word, but youll probably have to pay for japanese.

You could try OpenOffice, I used them when doing my french GCSE as it had grammar and spelling check.

Some info:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/determine-if-you-need-a-language-pack-HA010243416.aspx

7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

おは世ございます チインギイクさん。

I assume you have Win7. Should be the same in Vista and Win8.
    Start > Control Panel > Region and Language > Keybaords and Languages tab > Change keyboards... > Add... > Japanese (Japan) --> Keyboard --> Microsoft IME > OK > Apply > OK

Now you might get the language bar appear somewhere on the screen. You can minimise it so that it sits near the clock on the taskbar showing only an abbreviation of the language.

It should say EN for english. To change language press Alt+Shift. This will cycle it between and language keyboards you have active. If I'm not mistaken it will default to Katakana. Click once on the カ and select Hirigana. Now type away in Romaji and it will automatically convert into Hirigana.

Pressing Alt+¬ (basically the key left of 1) switches mode within the keyboard itself. Currently it switces between Hirigana/Katakana and Alpha-Numeric. I have yet to work out how to get it to switch between Hirigana and Katakana.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

おは世ございます チインギイクさん。

You double posted TeenGeek. But no worries a moderator should merge the two at some point. I had already posted there. So I'll just paste in some extra info on top of what GoodBytes has already said.

*copy, paste & snip*................Now you might get the language bar appear somewhere on the screen. You can minimise it so that it sits near the clock on the taskbar showing only an abbreviation of the language. If it hasn't already located itself to the taskbar.

It should say EN for english. To change language press Alt+Shift. This will cycle it between and language keyboards you have active i.e. EN & JP.
    If I'm not mistaken the JP keyboard will default to Katakana. Click once on the カ and select Hirigana. Now type away in Romaji and it will automatically convert into Hirigana.

Pressing Alt+¬ (basically the key left of 1) switches mode within the keyboard itself. Currently it switces between Hirigana/Katakana and Alpha-Numeric. I have yet to work out how to get it to switch between Hirigana and Katakana.

TeenGeek likes this.
  9. TeenGeek

Excellent!!! thank you all, I had IME, and japanese selected, and for some reason, that would not work. Anyway, it is working now, so thanks!

10. GoodBytes

Awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated. :thumb: