1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Shattered Horizon Won't Load

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PureSilver, 21 Apr 2010.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Having picked up Shattered Horizon in a Steam Sale a while back I finally got around to trying to play it today. Instead of loading properly, what I get is the studio titles (Futuremark, nVIDIA, the usual), followed by being dumped back to desktop very briefly, then a black screen with my mouse over the top. The game doesn't load any further than that (though it takes up plenty of memory) and will eventually self-quit. I've verified the integrity of Steam's files, and my rig (see sig) is on paper more than capable of playing it. For the record, I run 7 x64.

Anyone got any ideas?

[EDIT]I should also add that when the game self-quits it crashes Steam, too.[/EDIT]

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Is there anything in Windows' Error logs?
    It may be able to provide a bit of diagnostic info.

3. PureSilver

Applicable-looking errors;

No mention of Shattered Horizon in the Event Viewer by name; also, I manually force-quitted the unresponsive Steam to produce that event. After that there's some failures of the Bonjour service, which might be after I restarted, and I think anyway are an Apple thing and completely unrelated.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I get a similar thing with my SH, but it seems to power through and work. What it does do though is end up windowed every time it gets launched.

Have a look over on the Futuremark forums, iirc there're dedicated support staff lurking over there. Sounds like a strange issue though.

5. PureSilver

Ah, got it figured. Apparently, setting too-demanding settings can cause the game to fail to load, so deleting the settings file will cause a total reset and you can start again.