1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Handbreak MKV to MP4 help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jehla, 1 Jan 2012.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Hi everybody.

Could someone suggest the best settings to use on handbrake to convert a full HD (1080) MKV to a mp4 for streaming via Dlan to a PS3?

I've tried converting using the "high profile" preset, however the ps3 won't acknowledge it's existence. I want to maintain the highest level of quality where possible.

Cheers

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Apple TV 2 profile should work fine - it'll reduce it to 720p which will still look awesome on the PS3. MKV to Mp4 conversions work fine for me in HandBrake.

A "hand break" is an injury ;)

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You might give mkvtomp4 a shot first, it just does a quick container swap and mixes down the audio to aac 2.0 for better compatibility. Best thing is it only takes a few minutes.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Handbrake sometimes has issues converting MKV to MP4. It sometimes renders files unplayable, even if others in a batch work fine. I'd look elsewhere first, like Lysol said.

5. IvanIvanovich

I've noticed handbrake does this too, which was one of the reasons I looked for another solution. If you make sure the bitrate is the same, it is less of a problem in handbrake, but that is no help if you are trying to make it smaller to use for a portable.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.freemake.com/

Unless you want to do something specifically funky with Handbrake, Freemake is farrrr better.

Zener Diode likes this.
  7. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

^That looks like a nice piece of software, thanks :thumb:

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

+1 for Freemake

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Also +1 for Freemake, should have mentioned that in my last post lol

10. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'm converting using Freemake now, cheers.

Update: That's working perfectly now! the only major difference I could see int he two files was the freemake file had 6 audio channels and a high of 1080 while handbreaks version was 800 high and only had two channels.

Now I just need to work out why play back is jerky on itunes/quick play but fine on VLC, WMP and itunes on a mac with inferior hardware.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2012
  11. IvanIvanovich

I'm giving freemake a try, but what preset do you people use for mp4? I have tried a few, and they all keep doing odd things, like trying to upsample even when I choose same quality, and files a 2x size of original avi.
    If I select limit size and put to about same size as original it looks super terrible, and unwatchable.
    It is a lot faster than handbrake, but so far I am otherwise very unimpressed.

12. dubsjw

dubsjw What's a Dremel?

I used to use Handbrake for encoding files but then I switched to RipBot....it seems to be a little more stable and the code is a little more streamlined and doesn't take as long to encode. Might be worth checking out!