1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Time to get a proper monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lp rob1, 15 Sep 2012.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

It is time to upgrade my PC, and this time I am putting special priority on the monitor, as I didn't really think it through when I was building my PC 2 and a half years ago. My current monitor is a Dell ST2310, but I would like to a) go for something bigger and b) a better quality, all based on the threads dominated by Goodbytes here on bit-tech. I was looking at the Dell U2711, or its LED brother. Obviously both of these monitors cost a serious amount and therefore require serious consideration by me, so this is where I ask you lot for advice.

Will I notice a difference between a cheaper TN panel (like iiyama's range) and these ones? More to the point, does it justify the price gap? I do spend a lot, perhaps too much, time at my computer so it gets a lot of use. The extra screen space will be nice, but again is it justified compared to smaller IPS panels like the U2410 or the U2412M? I spend a large percentage gaming on the PC, but also do work involving many virtual machines and programming. As for graphical power, I hope to upgrade to an AMD 7870 at the same time.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Will you see a difference in term of colors?
    Depends. I haven't seen the ST range in action, I'll just speak generally. Usually a high-end TN monitor won't have a large visible difference compared to a med range or even low end IPS panel. They are always exceptions where IPS panel can be lower than a TN panel, and the reverse (if one of the monitor is crappy, then the other will look better, even if it's a crappy one).

Also, if you happen to have a monitor that is or you have color calibrated and compare to one that isn't, then obviously the calibrated should look better.

In your case, you should see a difference, a nice one on paper.

The Dell U27** series uses a true 8-bit panel, while all TN panels are 6-bit panels. So that will give you some very nice visuals. And of course, as it's a IPS panel, no mater how you set the monitor to you, you'll enjoy very nice image, as colors wont' shift (contrast will, but nothing drastic... and you won't be doing professional image editing with a monitor at some ridiculous angle to the monitor)

The image should also be a bit sharper than your Dell ST (but I am going on what's on paper here).

U2711 or U2713. Interesting choice.
    -> Both monitor comes with a pre-calibrate color profile. U2711 has Adobe RGB and sRGB, while U2713 has only sRGB.
    Again, these pre-calibration are not super duper well done, they are quickly done at the factory. I believe that they are way better than nothing, and also is good enough for a regular user as us. A pro has the tools to do it weekly to compensate for the normal wear of the monitor and back light.

-> The U2713 uses LED back light, while the U2711 uses CCFL. Meaning the U2711 will display better whites, and colors in general (no blue-tint). The U2713 will display colors with a hint of blue, especially visible on white and grays. You are experiencing this on your current monitor. You usually don't notice until you see a side by side comparison and get used to the correct colors. However, the U2711, as it uses a CCFL backlight it makes a wide gamut monitor, instead of standard. What it means for non-professionals in image editing? A hint over-saturated on colors, nothing critical., that will make images look just wrong. I did graphical arts for my software and website, and it didn't affect me. Colors appear as I expected on all monitors. Picture taken by a DSLR camera also shows no problem.

-> U2713 will have better contrast as the backlight is at the bottom of the screen and nit directly behind the panel like the U2711 due to the CFL backlight

-> The U2713 and U2711 are both made by LG

-> The U2713 has no longer LG aggressive AG coating, which bothers some people.

-> U2711 has a lot more inputs than the U2713. You can plug about anything you want.

-> The U2711 has a lot more feature in color adjustment, and have features like Picture-in Picture and side-by-side Picture in Picture, and has a multi-card reader.

I have to go now, I'll add if there is anything to add later.
    Hope it already helps you on which monitor to go to.

lp rob1 likes this.
  3. GoodBytes

You can rotate the U2713 in portrait mode, while you can't for the U2711.

The U2711, if you have the setup for, including content, support 10-bit colors

The U2711 has better uniformly distributed back light (normal, as the back light is right behind the panel and not at the bottom)

4. GoodBytes

Ok now to your other questions:
    Big, fat, and underlined YES. Not to mention build quality, especially if you go with the U2711.

IPS panels cost more. And these aren't low-end IPS panels (eIPS).
    Also true 8-bit panels costs even more.
    Also, these really resolution cost even more.
    All adds up.

Many people here think yes. I would have got the U2711 or the U3011 when I picked my monitor a while ago myself, but I didn't have the money, and I didn't want to buy a new GPU for SLI (GTX 600 series was not out at the time)

5. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I love my U2711 probably the best thing I've bought for my PC but then I was coming from cheap laptop screens so I was probably a little bit easier to impress ;)

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What's your budget for the monitor?

7. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Budget is variable, but in general it needs to be kept within the reasonable price range (this is why I am not even looking at 30" monitors). From what has been posted in this thread, it seems that the difference between my ST and a larger U series will not be significant, but enough to justify the price gap between them: the ST2420L (LED brother of my ST) at £190, with the U2412M at £230. Looking more closely at the 26"-30" monitor listings on Scan, it seems that all of the iiyamas and similar monitors are 1080p, while the cheapest 2560x1440 monitor is the Hazro at £416. At 27", I would definitely be looking at 1440 at least, so this explains the price tag a bit better.

Thanks for all the help everyone - I would still like some more feedback regarding the larger screen size, as Goodbytes pretty much answered every question I had with IPS vs high end TN.

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but I've upgraded to a U3011 and my current rig is struggling a little, fine in GW2 but Crysis 2, BF3 etc are painful.

What's the cheapest method of improving my fps? Will another GTX580 suffice or will I need more video memory i.e. a 670 or 680 or one of the ATI offerings?

9. GoodBytes

Anandtech says the following:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/13

So it looks like 2x GTX 580 or 1x GTX 680 will do. I expect that you get a bit higher FPS with 2x GTX 580.
    Ask people here that have the U2711 on their setup. The U3011 has a very close resolution to the U2711. It should not have a major fps gap between the monitors.

10. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Thanks Goodbytes I appreciate the time you took to post that.

I suppose that whether I sell my current 580 and put the proceedings towards a 680 or get a second 580 the difference is likely to be the same.

11. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

I've got a U2713HM arriving today, got it from Ebay brand new for £380 (Seller B2day), glad to know my single 680 should cope with gaming, although I may get another in the new year for SLI.

12. GoodBytes

Please tell us what you think. You are the first here that got this new monitor from Dell. While reviews show that it is good monitor, I want to know user feedback. Pictures would also be nice, if you have the time, else it's ok.

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You might look into the Korean monitors like Shimian, Catleap and so on. They are very good value and nice display using same LG panels as Apple for about half the price of Dell 27" 1440p. Yes sure there is some trade off with lack of some minor features and the stands are not as nice but they are vesa so you can always take care of it later.

14. GoodBytes

some trade off? lack of some minor features?
    Also, it's not the same panel. It's close, to the same specs, but not the same panel (unless they recently changed, or there is a specific model which I skipped that has the exact same panel).

15. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

I let you know what I think after I've used it for a while, got a nice MX Ergotron arm to mount it on to.

I originally got interested in 27" screens when someone mentioned one of these cheap IPS screens from Korea on one of the forums, but I soon realised that they are not that cheap once import duty and VAT are added, and then there's the warranty.

Then I found the DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" available for £300 from Overclockers, currently £359 but the price drops to £300 every few days or so. But that monitor is glossy, which puts me off.

It was then that I spotted the U2713HM available from Amazon and I think Aria for around £460, when I search Ebay I found some on there, going for very good prices, and as the warranty is direct with Dell no problems there.

B2day, has buy it now listing for £426, but I got lucky in one of their auctions yesterday (bid 8 seconds before the end :D). His communication both before and after the auction was first class, monitor was dispatched yesterday afternoon via UPS which also has great tracking, and it was received here at 13:29, just over 23 hours from auction close.

So, so far so good, I'll post pictures and what I think once I've got it setup and tried it out, this will probably be after the weekend, may be even after Christmas - I'll add a reminder on my phone so I don't forget.

As I mention above I looked at these, including the 120Hz version thats available, but by the time you add import duty + vat, cost will probably exceed or be very close to what I've paid, but without any warranty, with the Dell I have 3 years on-site/swap warranty and a zero pixel defect warranty I believe.

PS. I think the panels in the Korean ones are the same as the Apple Cinema displays and the U2711, but are B grade, IE Apple & Dells rejects, and are not pixel perfect although the defects are so small you're unlikely to notice them.

16. GoodBytes

Oh yes, something to remember.
    If I not mistaken, your monitor came with a pre-color calibrated profile called: sRGB.
    In your monitor in screen menu, you need to select this (sRGB) color profile to enjoy the calibrated profile. You should have the calibration report in the box of the monitor.

If your monitor beeps at the press of buttons, like it does with the U3011, U2711, and U2410, fear not, you'll can disable that beeping sound in the monitor menu options under Advance section. Look for: Button Sound (assuming the menu is the same/similar as the U2410, U2711, and U3011. :)

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes I often forget about your retarded vat and customs. I don't have that nonsense in the US and didn't have to pay a penny more than the sale price to receive it.

And yes, to me they are minor features missing. I don't care about 5 different inputs and other things I would never use. I only wanted a nice quality ips 27" 1440p and I got one for much cheaper than I could with LG, Dell, HP, or others. I have 0 stuck or dead pixel on my unit, it is perfectly fine and I can't complain about a thing.

18. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

@Goodbytes, thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

@lysol, yes you are lucky in the US, they don't call it rip off Britain for no reason :jawdrop: I'm also not worried about all the additional connectors, although the USB 3 hub might come in useful, baring in mind it's only powered when the monitor is on, not in standby - a major over site, but I guess that would bump up standby power usage. But thinking about it I use a one click power switch, so when the computers off it shuts off power to everything else anyway.

I've checked the warranty on the Dell website and it's good till 10 December 2015, I've also unpacked it, but won't have time to set it up until the weekend :waah:, it's too late now, and I have a Christmas party tomorrow night.

fuus likes this.
  19. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I always thought these monitors where Dell's? Or are the panels just made by LG?

I'm moving to the USA for 5 months soon, I might by a nice U2711...

20. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

What about 2 U2412m at that price range. Just an idea but it offers more screen space and (maybe) versatility. And its cheaper.

This may help a lot when doing VMs.

BTW I have a U2412m and I am not disappointed at all. I was debating with myself between this and the U2410 and I am sure I made the right choice for my use. I think only professionals should look at spending money on the truly pro monitors, it's wasted on the rest of us.

Also think of the response time if you game a lot (depending on type of game obviously).

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012