1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda confirms modding for Skyrim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

sounds great, cant wait for this game

also joe do you ever leave the office?

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Of course it supports mods - Bethesda have relied on modders to fix the bugs and design flaws of their biggest releases for almost a decade at this stage.

Still, it's certainly better news than it could have been with the decline in developer-supported modding as of late.

4. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

The question now is how soon after release will we have to download the construction kit to start fixing quests and such! I really hope they bug test skyrim better than they did their previous games :(

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Sounds great!

Releasing a game that doesn't need patching 5 minutes after its launch would also be nice.

6. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

Bethesda games have always been buggy, but that is *more* than made up by the fact that they make epic games, and stay true to their form, even as they grow in popularity. For us hardcore Bethesda fans and Elder Scrolls fans, this is excellent news. Pretty much every game Bethesda makes has an extensive mod community, and it grows in size every year (Hell, people *still* mod Morrowind to this day). The fact that Skyrim will be on an entirely new engine and will support modding, is extremely exciting. I really wish they announced all this news closer to the release date, because it's going to be a long 10 months for fans like myself.

7. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

1+ to games that release mod kits. I always though it a shame they never released a mod kit for mass effect 1 that would have boosted its popularity even more but I suppose its not in the interest of them flogging DLC for ME to do that.

8. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

ROFL, dillusional bethesda fanboy, hardcore? Stay tru to their form? LOL, Oblivion was the most watered down, dumbded down, shallow, broken RPG I have ever seen.

9. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

Troll more. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, but it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. I suppose you prefer the Treyarch/IW model of recycling the same engine and putting it into 3-4 different games, charging ridiculous prices (MW2 still costs upwards of $50, and if you include all the MW2 DLC, it quickly approaches $100) and basically adding a few new features to the game? Save yourself some embarrassment and just admit you're trolling.

10. bennyjh

bennyjh What's a Dremel?

Its got nothing on Morrowind but Oblivion was still a cracking game. Maybe not an rpg in the traditional sense but still awesome.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I loved Oblivion, hell I still play it now. The fact that Bethesda are helping modders out again can only be commended.

12. mastorofpuppetz

HUH? Nice job of assuming, I have not played or bought a COD game since cod 2..............

And no im not trolling, here we go again, someone doesn't like a game they troll, if they love it they are a fanboy? Bit-tech, where kids post.

No one can look at oblivion and say with a straight face it was a good RPG, or hardcore in anyway. The game, levelling system,. loot scaling, lack of depth, hand holding, linearity of almost all quests, lack of dialog, wooden NPC's. Mods are the only thing that made it playable so that is a plus i guess. For a game so open, it is one of the most linear, straight forward RPG's i have played. Im a massive orc with zero magic skill, but I became arch mage of the mages guild, how logical. You hear the fighters guild is hiring, everyone in Cyrodill has, because its all they say for weeks on end. Its a RPG designed for the afore mentioned COD gamers on Xbox.

The lack of variety in the environment, caves also made it a repetitive bore, and the worst main story in years. Close another Oblivion gate? No thanks. I suck at writing I think i could have written a better main quest line.

its not all bad, Dark Brotherhood was fun, enchanting items made the loot scaling a little less terrible. The game was pretty before you realised everything was the same everywhere,

13. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1

I Lol'd! :lol:

14. mastorofpuppetz

Mods are essential, all the ENHANCEMENTS in skyrim beth took directly from the mod community, and what they did in oblivion, bethesda relies on the community for innovation LOL.

15. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

How the hell do you know what the enhancements in skyrim are? The game is 10 months away from release!!

16. mastorofpuppetz

umm, they have announced them , learn to research. its one the Game informer article and bethesda forums.

17. mastorofpuppetz

Finishing moves? Dual weilding? Combat changes? Levelling changes? All already done via mods (Deadly reflex anyone)? These have been announced by bethesda, and in detail. All done by mods already for oblivion.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Must say I didn't feel Oblivion much myself, even with mods. I know I'm in a minority there though. Hopefully this will be more varied story and quest-wise. Also without mods it would be a disaster! Of course they are going to allow them.

19. mastorofpuppetz

Your not alone fizzban, most long time gamers, and Es fans liked morrowind better and were dissappointed in OB. Oblivion was just to shallow.

20. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

I loved Oblivion, wanted to play it for months n months.
    And then i experienced Oblivion's leveling system and i haven't been able to play much, i just hate that system.

What's so bad about a generic xp leveling system anyway? Innovation is good and all but not when it ruins the entire game.
    Ah well just another thing the modding community sorted out hehe

@mastorofpuppetz - you would rather they didn't include stuff from the community?
    Or just wanted to laugh at a game company for recognising that their community is awesome and churns out some pretty good stuff that if included in future games would make everything better all round...

Tags: Add Tags