1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Shuttle

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by djzic, 4 Nov 2012.

1. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hi guys, I haven't really been around much recently, school and other factors of life mean I don't have much spare time :rolleyes:. Anyway :)D) I have a shuttle PC I'm not satisfied with.
    [​IMG]
    I started sleeving it...
    [​IMG]
    First ever Sata cable I've sleeved
    [​IMG]
    Now I've removed the stock cooler. It uses non-stock cooler-mounting positions so I'll have to make/mod a bracket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The PSU has been relocated. This bar will need to be cut to give the PSU clearance. Everything after the screw hole in focus is going for clearance.
    [​IMG]
    GPU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow. Sorry for the awful pictures, I have no good light.

2. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

[​IMG]
    Well I happened to be looking for my cutting wheels for ages, and by the time I had found them, it was practically dark :lol: I had about 3 minutes to cut this before it was pitch black, so sorry for the awfuuul cut! Will be filed/sanded, I promise!:p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU now has clearance.:)
    [​IMG]

New CPU :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used about 13 cutting disks, I was in a rush and could only find the cheap variation :lol:

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I am alll for artistic photography but these images are useless.

4. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

I think they would be ok in good light....

5. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

like macro shots much?

with some decent DoF... try bumping aperture up to 2.8 or 4 and use a tripod...

6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Well, since it's pissing it down outside, I hardly have any decent light...

These were shot at f/8.

Instead of telling me my pictures are useless, why don't you show off your obviously godlike photography... If you even know how to manually operate a camera, that is.

Ah, bit tech... whatever happened to the community? It seems well and truly dead now, and all I see is advertising...

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  7. kinghong1970

awww... don't get pissed...

and as for f/8... it is impressive how much bokeh and shallow DoF you are able to get from an f/8
    anyways, can't say my pics are godlike... but if you like i'm over at Photography on the net forums under same handle.

don't think i had such bokeh from my EF 50mm f/1.2L or my EF 24mm f/1.4L but then again, what do i know... i'm just out in the woods shooting birds with a EF 500mm F/4L...

just curious... what was your exposure on this? have any exif info?
    not to be critical but rather curious as to how you got these effects in your shots.

i guess the folks were trying to say that less bokeh would have helped us visualize your projects more.

good luck in your project.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2012
  8. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

and... what are you trying to show to us?
    call me noob in photography, but all i can see is blurry dark pictures.. you dont have blitz in your camera?

what part of psu is that? what gpu part is that?

9. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I happened to be directing that comment towards mrbungle. There happens to be very little DOF since I'm using a manual focus 85mm f/2 with a 2x TC. It's not very easy to stop down when the ISO on my camera is awful and I'm barely getting usable shutter speeds as it is. Thanks kinghong, for actual constructive criticism :)

jay2, it's not blur... it's called depth of field. Why don't you learn about it before you comment?

It's a 1U psu, and it's the end where the cables come out... also it's the GPU cooler.

10. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Can't decide between:

or just get moody and say:

Either way. Stop flaming people, and never feed a troll.

11. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

he said in reply to two members "older" than him :p

not to be rude, but please read the second quote, and then directly the first one.

not everyone's as skilled/interested in photography as you, thus not as knowing about it as you.

while bit-tech tends to love detail shots (i know i do), it's nice to see some broader pics as well, you know, to get a hang of what's actually going on.

just saying :)

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm with the others, those pics don't show anything at all really. The first one is ok, but should probably be complemented by some other, clearer, pics.

The community is still here and very friendly by the way. Don't lose your head.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

[​IMG]

Seriously? Either you're an extremely long-time lurker here or please refrain from such statements, mate.

Otherwise I can say the following: while this may be an interesting mod your pictures don't show anything but blurry darkness with tiny bits of hardware in focus... just not good enough, sorry.
    Do you have any drawings to show us what your plans are? Anything rendered, by chance?

14. kinghong1970

you're very welcome...

forgive my curiosity...

85mm f/2 with a 2x TC will give you 170mm f/5.6?

why did you use a TC? or are you using extension tubes?

how about getting rid of the TC, set camera to aperture mode, set at f/8 (or whatever aperture is the sweet spot for that lens), set ISO to about 400 and use a bean bag, rice bag, masking tape and stabilize the camera for longer exposure?

[​IMG]

ISO400
    f/11
    1 sec exposure with a tokina 12-24 lens.

sorry for turning this into a photog thread...

i too enjoy bokeh... truly enjoy bokeh...
    [​IMG]

but enjoy it when the subject of your shot is clearly visible and bokeh serves to isolate subject from a hectic background... just my humble opinion...

[​IMG]

this was shot with my 50L @ f/1.2 1/125 sec exposure... could have used more exposure but liked the dark tone/feel and at 1.2 isolates enough and yet keeps object visible...

anyways, show us some pics of your log and let's stop talking bout the images... art is subjective... and just keep in mind OP, you post "artistic" images, you are subject to various opinions as seen here...

i do like the heatsink shot by itself...

oh, and get some dust blower when doing macro shots... hehehe :D

15. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Bokeh is a really tricky effect, too much of it and the shot is ruined, too little and it's not noticeable and a bit pointless. Personally I'm not convinced on the artistic merit of these shots as without labels you basically don't have a clue what's going on most of the time. Better light would help but mostly it's just there's not enough of the subject in focus.

I'm curious to see where this one is going, given I can't see most of it yet.

16. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

wow... such friendly responses :rolleyes:

Kinghong, the TC was for closer focusing distance, 0.8m on an 85m leaves a little to be desired, and I have an f/4, since the amount of light is halved :)
    Some of my pictures...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right BTT! Anyway, since you guys seem to want crappy pictures...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cooler has part of the stock cooler fit in atm, the heatpipes will be cut off ofc, and the cooler will be installed using stand-offs or long screws, not sure yet.

17. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

You really brought the replies on yourself...

Looking at your pics in the last post, if you know how to photograph correctly, why do even my pics look better than the batch you initially posted? I'm no photo expert by far, but at least my pics show the object I'm shooting. Don't get me wrong, artistic pics are great, but the ones showing your hardware are too artsy and don't really show anything.

18. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I am still in the case mod sections, right? Or is the hardware modded? I can't tell... Is there a case in here somewhere?

The "crappy" pictures are a lot more useful than the rest, in my opinion. My photography skills aren't any good, and I've just got a point and shoot, but images show what I'm working on so people can understand it... That's more important in a case mod, than having "pretty" pictures of hardware, to most of us.

I lurked for quite a few years before joining, and I must say that I feel the community is still there, just doesn't tolerate rudeness and arrogance very well. Just be careful with word choices when in disagreement, so you can ensure that the message we receive is the one you're trying to convey, and you won't have many problems.

19. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Meh, I don't feel particularly inclined to stay in such a negative community. I have been lurking since 2006, so I can tell you that the community used to be much more positive. I honestly am shocked at the changes. Good bye bit-tech, I won't be coming back.

20. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy